Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: SFP or FFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Many scopes don't appear to be able to optimise the reticle size change from low to high power in FFP. One that I have been looking at for a long time is the March FML reticle. On the 3-24 it appears to very usable at 3 power with the shrinking of the centre cross down to a focal point and with illumination would be even more so. The outside posts are tapered to that centre point so lead the eyes well. At 24x the detail of the central X is very obvious and allows precision measurement and aiming at small long range targets...

Now I have not yet had the opportunity to see one in the flesh, and am going off the reticle pics, but it appears at face value that this design should work well. I think I would prefer the FML which is a symetrical design rther that the FML-1 which has longer below X hair markings and numbers - at least for a multi-purpose scope...

So it appears that the only FFP disadvantage could be minimised with good reticle design - but perhaps someone who has one could comment...?
    I can send you my one to have a look at if you like?

Also, ignore all this rubbish about using a reticle to range a target. Its a complete and utter fuck around of an idea and you are a retard if you even consider using it as the sole justification for purchasing an FFP scope. Simply means you've been spending to much time surfing around ridiculous American mil sites if you're drinking the ranging cool-aid.

Use both, choose your preference based on your requirements. Buy scope.

And for fuck sake, buy a godamn range finder and stop listening to 'snipers'.
    gadgetman, ebf and BRADS like this.

I have a Burris veracity ffp and the reticle is designed so it looks nice and fine when at the highest mag, and it becomes a big bold cross air when power is turned down for close stuff or when the light fades away and you still want to see your reticle.

The ffp on a scope like a sightron with Moa reticle could be useful in f class as the targets are in Moa as well. So what ever is the magnification, you can still sustain the reticle the same amount on the target with out having to click and without having to calculate stuff in your brain.

One main point that has been missed is to use the reticle for holdover and wind correction and also re adjusting your turrets for zeroing. You never have to worry about which magnification you are on, the correction value is always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    I can send you my one to have a look at if you like?

do ya like it...?

It's a well executed reticle design and the overall package is pretty good.

If they dropped the mag range from 3-24 to a 2-18 I think it would be much better as its pretty finicky for eye relief.

Also they are now WAY too expensive for what they are so I wouldn't buy one new. Same could be said about a lot of hunting/shooting products these days though.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The ffp on a scope like a sightron with Moa reticle could be useful in f class as the targets are in Moa as well. So what ever is the magnification, you can still sustain the reticle the same amount on the target with out having to click and without having to calculate stuff in your brain.
    Or you could just aim at the rings. They are all a known dimension and that does not change whatever magnification you use ....

Except for the x-ring, every ring moving out from the centre is close-enough to 1/2 moa out.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute