Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Show us you girls gun?

Show us you girls gun?

My daughter wants a ''pink rifle'', and I'm more than happy to make one for her. She is very young so it will be used under very strict direct supervision and locked up away from little hands when I'm not around (safety first).

I guess the wish list would be:

-A .22lr, preferable a single shot,
    -maybe cut down the LOP and add spacers as and when required,
    -shorten the barrel and silence...
    -And paint it pink with stickers on it?

I'm after any good ideas, so what have you doting fathers out there been conned into building for your little ones? Now I know KiwiGreg built his girl a .375! But I'm keen to take baby steps first and start small, then work up...

kj

The best place to start is the 22.
    I used to hold my 10-22, put the laser on the possum & Ashlee would pull/push the trigger.
    Then they gradually move up, it took a while before she wanted to fire the 416 Barrett

Now she is 13 she seems to be more interested in playing on the i-pod, ph etc.
    I don't push it, don't want to put her off, never have.

They really like it if is "their" rifle

Use a candy cane for the trigger, and gummy bears for iron sights.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Cz 452 scout looks like what you are after
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Cheers for the replies, some wise advise and yes as saying goes; ''softly, softly catches the monkey''...

I had the same thing with an archery set, where my daughter asked for one. I brought her a mini compound bow and then she wouldn't use it. My own father said the above saying (''softly, softly catches the monkey'') to me, so I did two things

1) Got her that DVD ''Brave'' which has a little girl in it who uses a bow & arrow.
    2) Backed off and did my own thing with my bow letting my daughter see me out there doing it, then she came to me and asked to use it...now she's hooked.

I can see the same thing happening with this rifle, she wants one...but I think it’s so she can spend more time with me, rather than actually wanting a rifle? Either way it’s a win/win situation.

kj
    veitnamcam, Smiddy and Scouser like this.

an air rifle is a MUCH safer and cheaper option for a young kid, the pellets have low energy and zero BC so they fall out of the sky past 100m or so. If she has a mistake its less of a worry (and she will send them skyward plenty often when learning to shoot)

If it has to be a .22 get the Norinco or any cheap as chips wood stocked bolt action .22 and chop about 3-4 inches off the stock. Glue strips of the stock back on as she grows

Some young kids seem to have real trouble with scopes, iron sights can be easier for them to deal with (think about this before chopping the barrel). I might try a red dot for the girl one day. She is 4 and loves shooting with dad, but cant really use the thing at all yet. I rest it on sand bags, line it up and she pulls the trigger. I recon at least 8 before she gets to walk around with it - I remember what we used to get up to with the old man's air rifle that we were supposed to "never touch" hahahahahahahhaha hahah ahhahahahahahahhahaha KILLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I got missus a custom leather sling out of the states. Pink, with stars and butterflies.
    Yes, my wife now wants a ''rainbow'' painted stock for her yet to built rifle...even that's just a little too gay for me to want to make, but at least its a step in the right direction as she has shown no interest in shooting up until now, so it may be a case of dusting off my old airbrush and going to town with ''red and yellow and pink and green...purple and indigo too.....''

kj

I just bought an old Norinco JW15A, wooden stocked, then got it shortened and suppressed. Cheap and with a little bit of work very accurate. Still want to get a smaller lighter scope for it. Maybe a 4x32.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

If you cut the stock back and not the barrel as well,drill the stock and add a bit of lead (shot) to balance it again

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    My daughter wants a ''pink rifle'', and I'm more than happy to make one for her. She is very young so it will be used under very strict direct supervision and locked up away from little hands when I'm not around (safety first).

I guess the wish list would be:

-A .22lr, preferable a single shot,
    -maybe cut down the LOP and add spacers as and when required,
    -shorten the barrel and silence...
    -And paint it pink with stickers on it?

I'm after any good ideas, so what have you doting fathers out there been conned into building for your little ones? Now I know KiwiGreg built his girl a .375! But I'm keen to take baby steps first and start small, then work up...

kj
    Try a little Stevens favourite really a nice short break action single shot for kids

"Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Ejected
    No one got a 243 to show him?
    Kiwi Greg, kokako and kimjon like this.

Show us you girls gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    No one got a 243 to show him?
    Haha that lot will get here latter

My wife is of small statue , what I did was cut the stock down on a 22lr bolt action , so it fits her & cut barrel to 12 inches and threaded for a suppressor , works well , that and a bipod , donot spend a lot of money to start with as you donot know IF they are going to get hooked , donot let them use anything that kicks , as you can ruin it forever for them .

later Chris

Banned
    If a poo four free is a girls gun what dose that make a 223???? a panzy holder??I would recomend an Ar for your daughter as they are real popular with the ipod and xbox guys!