Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: slugs

slugs

Place I shoot has some pig rooting starting. The cocky says I'm way down the priority list to hunt them, but if I flush one when rabbitting with the shottie he says I can have a go. But we have to split the catch.

I'm using modified screw in choke in my 12g. What (if any) slug should I keep on my ammo belt, just in case

P38
    Modified may be too tight for a slug and slugs are notoriously inaccurate.

I'd chuck a couple of 00 Buckshot round in my belt for this occasion.
    But dont bother shooting unless your under 40m under 30m would be even better.
    Aim for the head/shoulders.

Good Luck

Cheers
    Pete
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    Place I shoot has some pig rooting starting. The cocky says I'm way down the priority list to hunt them, but if I flush one when rabbitting with the shottie he says I can have a go. But we have to split the catch.

I'm using modified screw in choke in my 12g. What (if any) slug should I keep on my ammo belt, just in case
    -funny coincidence: I was just playing with some slugs in my xtrema at the weekend. -Just for fun.

Was using them through 'Improved Cyllinder' with no problems.

Shot a target at 30metres: surprisingly accurate for what they are. All 5 were inside a 5 inch circle I drew.
    They start to drop quite a bit after 40 metres though, so you'd need to get in close-ish.
    These were the Remington Slugs in the yellow/green packet.

I agree buckshot , aim for the ear hole because if it's a boar he will shrug it of if you hit him on the shoulder. Good luck

I have improved cyl choke but not so good for bunnies. I was thinking of buck but lots of risk of gut shooting the pig or it running on into thick stuff.

R93
    Buck shot is way easier and will be quicker than a slug as your already shotgunning and will not have to change anything to hit the target. I have shot a few pigs with buckshot, best be as close as you can. You wont have any choke issues with OO either.

I have improved cyl choke but not so good for bunnies. I was thinking of buck but lots of risk of gut shooting the pig or it running on into thick stuff.
    You could with a slug too , with buck shot you have got 8 other chances to hit the vitals. That's my thoughts anyway , I always carry them when out shotgun shooting on the hill. I have heard of a improvised way of making a slug of sorts . You get your shotgun cartridge and just where the wad finishes your pair around the case with a knife. You cut virtually through . Apparently the whole end goes as one . I was going to try it but was not game enough , sounded to dodgy . Anyone else heard of it ?

Ejected
    I have a box of slugs if you want to grab a couple. They can be fired through any choke, just slightly more accurate through an open one so don't worry about that issue.

Shut up and Shoot
    My Benelli M4 will shoot the Federal Truball slugs really well at 50 yards. Three shots touching was not uncommon.

I'll pick up some 00 from town and take them with me next time.
    Just building up relationship with the cocky at the moment.

I have a mould for solid projectiles with a skirt and provided them to a reloading outfit in Taupo who then put them together...shot them through a Winchester pump at goats out to at least 100...they kick like hell but very effective.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

What should I keep on my ammo belt, just in case
    Your .243, you muppet !!!
    Using a shotgun on a pig - whatever next !

Quote Originally Posted by stu#71 View Post
    Your .243, you muppet !!!
    Using a shotgun on a pig - whatever next !
    It' a pig, not a rabbit...need calibre...and lots of it

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I have heard of a improvised way of making a slug of sorts . You get your shotgun cartridge and just where the wad finishes your pair around the case with a knife. You cut virtually through . Apparently the whole end goes as one . I was going to try it but was not game enough , sounded to dodgy . Anyone else heard of it ?
    Yip. A wringer.
    Ive shot MANY through a pump gun. Won't put them through an auto though.
    Kick like 40 barstards and if you cut too deep you get a fizz and a squib thats stuck good.

A cheap way to turn trap loads into something more useful is to cut the crimp off and tip the shot into hot glue or parafan wax then tip it back in the wad. Not very accurate but brutal when they hit something