Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a new scope

Suggestions for a new scope

Hey guys

Currently have a 3-9 x 40 Bushnell trophy on my tikka 223.

Since I' m going to the Nelson gong shooti have an excuse to get a new scope up to 12x have been happy with Bushnell products but would be willing to pwy a bit more for better glass but not up to ziess and s & b money.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, the leupold vx 1 4-12x40 has caught my eye. Having a rectile set up for a 223 is always a nice bonus

If you are on Stewart Island then maybe 2-12 something might be best that would give you a good low power for bush hunting, I have a 4-14 and 4x is a bit much in the bush
    Nibblet likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ejected
    What price range are you thinking? Swaro would see you right...
    BRADS likes this.

On a hunting rifle why go bigger? Ive got 3-9s on three rifles,223 6.5x55 and 308 shoot with them,set on either 4 or 6x only use the higher mag for looking. Bigger scope, heavier more bits to get caught up on branches. Target work sure or if you are a long range alpine kind of guy but a bdc reticle does me out to 500 for the 308 and 223.

Check to see if Digit is getting in any more Lucid scopes. I've got one with 223 reticle, it's fab

Have a rifle set up for on the island, this is for open tops in North Canterbury and targets. Also need a new scope as the "missus" 10/22 only hs a 4x32 on it and i'm putting the 3-9 onto that and its an excuse to get something new!

Ejected
    What price range though dude as it makes it a lot easier to make suggestions

Fulla
    Go big. 6-24 or more. There's a recent thread on f-class target scope. Look in there. It basicly says 6-24 or more. Sightron at 15-1600 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Go big. 6-24 or more. There's a recent thread on f-class target scope. Look in there. It basicly says 6-24 or more. Sightron at 15-1600 bucks.
    Not got that much loose change sadly! And I dont see the point in going much over 12x as you almost need to be bench shooting and not practial for hunting off the top of my day pack
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    What price range though dude as it makes it a lot easier to make suggestions
    Hoping to spend 2/3 the price of the rifle, which was 1400 so around the 700-900 mark, Happy to pay less though but dont want something that sacrifices glass quality. I want that last 30mins before dark!

If you want last light you are going to have to put at least a 2 in front of your intended budget. Maybe even a 3.

Have a look at Leupold AR Mod 1 with TMR or Mildot reticle and P5 mils turrets. Top turret is factory calibrated for .223 as well as mils. Also available in illuminated model. I have one with mildots and it has great glass and most other features of VX2's. it is 3-9 and not heavy. 40mm objective lens. Retails less than $800 from memory, with lifetime warranty.
    clickbang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    If you want last light you are going to have to put at least a 2 in front of your intended budget. Maybe even a 3.
    And that is the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mikee likes this.

"Factory calibrated turrets" are a wee bit of a sales gimmick.
    You would in my opinion be better off with a MOA turret and ballistic software on a smart phone which will work for any load as long as you know the proper velocity and BC OR get your load sorted and then get@Upland Stalker;? to make you a turret label for that particular load marked in 25 yard increments
    BRADS likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yep; and I wish I could afford that last 10 minutes worth too!