Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Tale of a Rifle

The Tale of a Rifle

In May 2006, I bought a BRNO ZKK601 from Alan Millars Hunting & Fishing in Dunedin.

I paid $450 for the rifle, and $80 to get 2" chopped off the barrel and a re-crown, as there was a bulge at the muzzle. The purchase included a Tasco 2-8x "World Class" scope.

This was my first centrefire hunting rifle, and I shot a few things with it over the time that I had it. I also upgraded the scope to a VX-I 3-9x40 and re-finished the stock (poorly) and carried it a lot of KM's.

In about December 2007 I got the bug for a new rifle, and sold my BRNO on trademe for $550 to a man somewhere in the North Island, and put the money towards a Remington 700 SPS, also in .270, bought from Alan Millars. My intent was to rebuild that rifle as a custom .280, and I replaced the stock on it with a fairly nice black laminate.

I didn't shoot very many animals with this rifle. I did put a fair few rounds through it at targets (including shooting Norway's first LR course with it) and shooting goats, wallabies, rabbits etc. I shot 2 hares at 500+ yards with it, first round hits. I only owned it for less than a year, and a fair portion of that time was spent working in Australia. In around July 2008 I bought my current Sako (also from Alan Millars), and the Remington remained basically unused after that, until about November 2008 when I decided to sell it to fund a stock and scope for my new Remington .223. I sold it on trademe, only getting around $1000 for it as I was in a hurry to sell. I bought a High Tech Specialties stock and a Nikon 3-12x42 Monarch with the money from the sale.

The High Tech stock never fit my Remington .223 properly, as it was inletted for the old-style trigger unit and my rifle had the new "X-mark Pro" unit. I ended up swapping it for a HS precison stock from a 700VS, which also did not fit. I made it fit with a bit of "gunsmith-in-a-box" work (Dremel tool). The Nikon scope I used a lot on both my .223 and my .243 Sako (on the Sako while my VX-III was at the custom shop), it worked very well for a budget scope and I did a lot of long range shooting with it. When I got my .223 rebarreled by Dan Hardy to a .223AI, he gouged out the barrel channel of the stock out extremely roughly, and I painted it tan when it came back.

In late 2009 sometime, I ordered a McMillan for the .223AI, and Isold the HS stock to forum member "Aurochs".

At the same time, I had loaned my Nikon scope to forum member "Gordy" to use on his Howa .243, and he had dented the tube, so he bought me a secondhand but "new in box" 4-16x42 Monarch to replace it. I sold this on trademe, and used the funds from stock and scope to purchase a used Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50. I used this scope on my .223AI and .243/6.5x47 for about 8 months, making my longest shots on animals to date with both rifles - 525 yards first round rabbit with .223AI, and 700 yards first round goat with .243.

When I got my new job in Australia in March 2010, I traded the Mk4 scope, along with some cash and my Leica CRF1200 rangefinder to forum member "crzyman" for a pair of 10x42 HD Leica Geovids.

So that is the story of how my first hunting rifle, a $450 BRNO ZKK601, became a pair of Geovid binoculars.

I would like to own that BRNO .270 again, if I could find it, or another one like it.
    Tahr, Trout, tikka and 5 others like this.

Good story Gimp. Thanks for sharing.

It's an interesting tale of the upgraded gun, I often wonder how people arrive at the setup they have.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Buying my first rifle was the start of a long painful journey of loosing money, I've been the guinea pig for new rifles and there parts and friends have saved heaps of money by letting me try first.
    7mmsaum and will.i.em like this.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Good lord, look at the hair in that first picture.

Cool story.
    Micky Duck likes this.

MEB
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Good lord, look at the hair in that first picture.

Cool story.

Just another outdoors addict
    The stock trouble on the SPS brings back horrible memories of trying to get my SPS 223 to shoot. Could have bought a Tikka or similar by the end of it, though if frustration has a price I could have bought a Sako or better. Wasn't intending buying a project.......

Nice read all the same.

Did someone put an illustration of the rifle's owner on that HS stock? very tasteful

Quote Originally Posted by Kitto View Post
    Did someone put an illustration of the rifle's owner on that HS stock? very tasteful
    I can confirm that Gimp illustrated it himself. It was during a bored moment in a camping ground in Cromwell if I recall correctly.

That's not to say that it wasn't an illustration of the rifle's owner, though :grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I can confirm that Gimp illustrated it himself. It was during a bored moment in a camping ground in Cromwell if I recall correctly.
    Followed by the question "You ever had feelings for another man bro?"

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

Gimp, we have All done it but I learned a long time ago not to sell any good rifles!
    To the best of my knowledge, Brno have only ever made One bad rifle!!!
    That particular bad rifle, was owned by a mate of mine and the action barrel thread, had been cut out of square!
    Not very good but.....

The Czech people, are very under rated for their engineering skills and abilities!
    Take out the Soviet invasion of the Czech Republic in 1968 and the poor influence this had on almost any thing made up until Communism, got the flick in Europe and you can have a very nice firearm!
    I actually have a 1970 made Brno ZKK 600, that was originally chambered in 7x57. It is still very well made, so this is the cut off date, I use for any Brno/CZ firearms!

Hope that helps

Double Doh!!
    Homer
    Last edited by Homer; 12-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitto View Post
    Followed by the question "You ever had feelings for another man bro?"
    It sure is an interesting thing to 'doodle' on your stock...:grin:

I have also made the mistake of selling a rifle only to regret it, twice! Never again.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thought id bring back a blast from the past. I still have my first centerfire rifle bought about 40 years ago. A sporterised m96 mauser, steel lynx one piece mount and a 4x32 nikko stirling since been replaced

Im looking forward to our man Gimp,updating the story till present day.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Name:  DSCF1037 (2).JPG
Views: 242
Size:  1.23 MB
    1977 still here. GPM.
    308 and will.i.em like this.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!