Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem

Thread: those guys that have match barrels...

those guys that have match barrels...

as above, not talking about factory barrels here but,

I cleaned mine right back to clean metal pretty much after putting about 70-80 rounds through it of varying intensitys ( not a match situation) and it seemed to shoot all over the place for at least 10 rounds before it settled down and a little bit of fouling in there again .

i realize everyones will be different but how long does it take yours to get it back in the groove again?
    #BallisticFists

DAF
    For my current Krieger 2 shots

My trueflite about 10 rounds
    After total clean, so it gets a mild clean after 2 matches and seem to perform well like that
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Why would a barrel need fouling to make it accurate?, does it have a bit of slop?..i have a match #5 on my hunting rifle and I expect it to shoot bang on everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    as above, not talking about factory barrels here but,

I cleaned mine right back to clean metal pretty much after putting about 70-80 rounds through it of varying intensitys ( not a match situation) and it seemed to shoot all over the place for at least 10 rounds before it settled down and a little bit of fouling in there again .

i realize everyones will be different but how long does it take yours to get it back in the groove again?
    Trueflite?

not to confuse anyone but by all over the place I mean about an inch spread at 100m

theres no problem solving to be done, im just wondering if anyones does the same

and no, Bartlein
    #BallisticFists

L.R
    Who chambered it is probably as important question as what the make of barrel is.

All barrels are different and it sounds like yours likes a bit of fouling so just leave it longer and only give it mild cleans. I doubt you have a dud barrel out of bartlein it's more likely a combination of factors.

What is the chambering?

yes my 6mmrem (trueflite um) takes a few when real clean I found the best accuracy was if I done nothing but bore snaked a couple of times and oil and only clean proper copper etcetc once every 100 or so rnds in fact that's now what I do with all my centerfire barrels 22 rimfire barrels should only be cleaned once every 12 months under heavy use (I used to shoot atleast 200 rounds a week when I was competitive target shooting they shoot better fouled so if its clean I used shoot at least 20 rounds before shooting a match not a biggie with a hunting gun we are talking mm's difference

but like anything its finding out what works for you and your firearms you may find a clean barrel shoots best or the other way round and I know of guys that have rifles that like to be cleaned hard even in the rim fire circles
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 11-02-2015 at 09:40 PM.

ebf
    My 308 TF UM takes 2 shots from clean.

1st one is generally 1 minute low, next one about 0.5 minute, then back on my normal settings.

I clean with Butches Bore Shine, and only go to JB paste maybe once or twice a season.

Hope that helps.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

res
    My true flight shoots better after a few rounds, it's not huge and at first I thought it was juste taking a group to get in the grove but it's so consistent that I now think it just needs s couple of fowling shots. Still under moa for those fowling shots so for hunting it's a non issue I feel.
    My annie .22 target rifle has the same trait but much more pronounced-I now hardly clean the barrel on it.
    Using Tapatalk

Most barrels get cleaned way to often

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Why would a barrel need fouling to make it accurate?, does it have a bit of slop?..i have a match #5 on my hunting rifle and I expect it to shoot bang on everytime.
    Dont over-clean it IMHO. I remove carbon fouling and that is it.

Personally I think some copper is a good thing as it coats the bore. Reading some academic papers on advanced tribology (study of friction), very high speeds, = liquidisation of the copper = less friction = higher velocity. In a match barrel Ive observed 1/4 ~ 1/2 MOA lower for the first 1 or 2 shots until the bore is "fouled" / coated with copper then it settles down. I have seen this effect on more than one gun, in fact it seems quite common. Better accuracy is not something I have observed though, or heard of anyone else commenting on only the vertical effect on a clean v shot barrel.

If anyone comes across similar geeky stuff i'd like to read ti by the way.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

R93
    My Bartlein is within an inch of POA after a clean. And takes 2 or 3 to get back on.
    But I never hunt with it, without a couple rounds thru it after a clean.
    Velocity takes around 5 rounds to settle after a clean as well.
    I only clean it now it's all setup maybe every 150 rounds.
    HBN helps. I get next to no copper.
    Best barrel I have had.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Most barrels get cleaned way to often
    Agrred i was one of these guys when i started shooting that scrubed the liveing shit out of my barrels every time i shot even only 1rnd on a bunny or something i spent more time cleaning than shooting but after resurch and lerning lots i fugured out you don't need to all i do is snake it once or twice to make it look nice but as we all know its nothing morecthan lose dirt being removed then a light coat of oil before i shoot i remove the oil and its good to go after 100-200 rds depending in cal and barrel they get a spring clean
    mikee likes this.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    I only ever bore snake with Kroil
    Addicted to gun powder