Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Savage Weather warrior.

Thoughts on Savage Weather warrior.

Anyone shooting a Savage weather warrior? Looking for honest out of the box performance review. Pros con's ect.

Cheers
    Tim

@gadgetman and @GravelBen will give you unbiased opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    @gadgetman and @GravelBen will give you unbiased opinions
    All right, since you insist. I like them, they have a pretty nice adjustable trigger, shoot well and have a good finish to the bore. The earlier ones have a rather flexible fore end that is not too difficult to stiffen up with arrow shafts. The later models have the Accustock with an aluminium bedding block. Can't say I've noticed that much difference in shooting accuracy. I really like the three position safety on the tang where it is easy to operate with the thumb but very difficult to accidentally knock pushing through scrub.

You almost have to be a contortionist to get the bolt out. On the Accustock models there is a button to depress at the front of the trigger guard, while squeezing the trigger and withdrawing the bolt. On the non Accustock models you have to depress a release on the right side of the action, where most have the safety, while squeezing the trigger and withdrawing the bolt. I like this as I'm a clutz.

We have three here in 243, one a right handed Accustock, one a right handed non Accustock (bought as a spare parts rifle) and one leftie in non Accustock for @TimeRider. They all shoot sub MOA (when we do our bit) with Highland and Winchester 100gn softpoints and handloads. These are the only things I've tried. @TimeRider always seems to get 13-15mm 3 shot groups at 100m with her one, Miss bloody consistent! Mine improved from 20mm by upping the powder 0.5gn from the safe starting load I chose to learn how to reload with, not a lot of development and I was satisfied.

This was my last trip to the range. Last three shots holding hands.

For a budget sort of rifle they are good value and certainly do what a rifle is meant to do. I liked the feel and comes with a good butt pad, so ready to go from the box.
    Toby and deer243 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have one in .270 I really like the fit for me.
    Trigger is fully adjustable and very easy to do.
    As far as accuracy goes I reload 140g sst and they group just over an inch at 200 with very little load development.
    As Gadget has mention the bolt release take a bit to get use to, at least you wont loose it
    @deepsouthaussie I was in shooters supplies in Christchurch on Friday the had a few left at $795
    Cheers
    6mm

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Anyone shooting a Savage weather warrior? Looking for honest out of the box performance review. Pros con's ect.

Cheers
    Tim

Yeah @6mm ackley. Saw them and thought was a good deal been after a stainless syn left hander for ages.

Might just buy one. Was really after a .308 30-06 though and only 7-08 and .270 available.. Might have to stick to the good old .270! Cheers for the review @gadgetman

Have a non accustock one in .243.
    Shoots sub MOA, had to stiffen up the front of the stock to use a bipod on it.
    Have had it for 8yrs+, gets 200-300rnds through it a year and it's only the shooter that lets it down.
    The SS finish doesn't get the "brown pattena" that some other SS rifles get.

Either of those could be swapped out with a prefit Barrel from Savage & Rem/Age Pre-Fit Barrel someone was looking at bringing some in on here I think it was Herb ??
    Nothing wrong with the .270 gets the job done( wait for @Toby to have some comment )

Pushbikes get the job done yet we all rather drive
    Pengy, Scouser and 6mm ackley like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Pushbikes get the job done yet we all rather drive
    If I can I take the pushbike.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good rifles as others have said - probably my top choice if I recide to replace my Ruger 308 with something stainless in future. Accurate, great trigger, good strong action, nice 3-stage tang safety etc. I don't own one but have used one and own/ed a couple of wooden stock Savages with the same action.

I must have mad skillz cos I don't find the bolt release tricky. You don't have to keep the trigger pulled, just enough to unlock the release button and then hold the button in and pull the bolt out. Very low chance of ever releasing the bolt accidentally.

@StrikerNZ has a pre-accustock one that he can tell you about if he's bored.

Actually I see you're in Invercargill, if you're passing through Gore and want to see if you like the feel of the Savage action and trigger then drop me a line, you're welcome to check out my 223.

Every savage I have had has been very accurate.

I have had feed issues however and a large degree of bolt slop on a very used one that made fast reloading difficult.

I love new Savages.... not the well used ones!!
    Dino and deepsouthaussie like this.

Cheers for the offer @GravelBen but be better off to come have a shoot with ya with my new one! I have fondled one in the past and thought it felt good just wasn't sure on reliabilty/accuracy. Read a few other reviews online and the concensus is good for the money, and thats the retail price they're talkin bout willis!
    All new rifles are made pretty decent these days I imagine.
    Hopefully the .270 is not gone before I run it past the bank/Mrs..
    haha

gadgetman and GravelBen like this.

Got one in 308 - it shoots well but the original rubbery stock wobbled too much so I got an aftermarket one and now the thing is good

Lightened the trigger and that made the safety not work - a touch heavier and it was ok but I never trust a safety anyway,
    Half-cock is okay, don't know if you can do the more positive half-cock modification that is popular with Tikkas, I've not bothered with it myself.

Cut down and suppressed it is a good rifle that can take a bit of bushbashing and still deliver the pill
    deepsouthaussie likes this.

ebf
    Yup, got one of the earlier non acustock, hinged floorplate models in 7mm08.

I love the Savages, very good design. Barrel nut is awesome. I really like the accutrigger, some folks don't... Bolt design is great, easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Got a Boyds stock for it.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I've only heard/seen great things about their accuracy. However i'm not generally a fan of Savages due to how they look/feel. Just feel a bit plastic/cheap. So if that doesn't bother you then get one .