Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: thoughts on tikka t3 lite

thoughts on tikka t3 lite

Looking at getting a tikkia t3 lite 7mm08 and just wondering if any has one an what think about it.

sweedish idol.

bloody near the perfect rifle for NZ.
    steven likes this.

They have very good marketing... not that there is anything particularly wrong with them, but there are plenty of other options (Remington, Savage etc) which are just as good or better (depending who you talk to ) at a lower price.

My advice is go to a gun shop or two, hold/play with a variety of different options in your price range, and get the one that fits you best and you like the feel of.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    They have very good marketing... not that there is anything particularly wrong with them, but there are plenty of other options (Remington, Savage etc) which are just as good or better (depending who you talk to ) at a lower price.

My advice is go to a gun shop or two, hold/play with a variety of different options in your price range, and get the one that fits you best and you like the feel of.
    GB wash your mouth out!
    Nathan F likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by ht5455 View Post
    Looking at getting a tikkia t3 lite 7mm08 and just wondering if any has one an what think about it.
    If you live in Remuera and drink latte's it will be perfect for you. Ha ha ha ha.
    300winmag and JRT93 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by ht5455 View Post
    Single stack mag and unable to top load the mag is a pain, other than that they are great.
    Get the stainless and make it a 308!

I went through the same pondering last year, comparing the Sako A7 with Tikka T3. I've heard all the negatives before, such as "can't top load mag" etc and I've never understood why that was ever an issue, because my mag is either loaded or unloaded, so what does it matter?
    The only things that stop me buying a Tikka T3 is the hollow (potentially noisy) sounding plastic stock and a rather noisy, sloppy bolt. Having said that, even the top dollar Sako 85 Finnlight has a sloppy bolt. As someone else already pointed out, you should go to the gun shop and have a good play with everything on offer and see what works for you. If the salesman is impatient, drive to a different gun shop.

I never did like mine. I would never buy either that caliber or a T3 again. But I am a dick head...

Dan M
    square1 likes this.
    Dan M

People either love them or hate them. Have a friend with one in 6.5x55 and he loves it, I pick it up and go cold.
    If you pick it up and it feels right then that is all you need to know, there are a few duds out there but you get that with all the brands.

I reckon there would be ten T3 6.5 around taihape bought in the lsst five years as they are getting to legendary status over here as alot of the top shots in the area are running them.
    I still say buy a tikka for $1100 in taihape and spend $1500 on an hd5 zeiss 5x25 and you have got a rig from hell!
    kiwi39 likes this.

Pro's
    -sako barrel (they known as a poor mans sako)
    -guaranteed 3 MOA at 100m
    -smooth bolt
    -Light weight
    -Most common rifle in NZ

Cons
    -Noisy and plastic stock.
    -Plastic Mag
    -Plastic trigger guard

There are other options out there for a little less and a little more and its best to pick up and feel as many as you can

I've got one in .270 and i really like it, i wanted it from day 1 and i didn't really matter what else i held i would always compare it to the T3.
    I'm happy to live with the plastic stuff, wouldn't mind a better stock but that can wait till next xmas lol.

Its the barrel that sold it for me, and thats what gives it its reputation in my opinion

hope this helps

RR

I just dont get that a plastic mag and trigger guard is a con?
    I would cosider it an improvement as less maintaince and weight.
    as far as top loading the mag goes they dont really matter as when ya need another round you throw a round in the top and in it chambers easy peasy.
    A bloody sight easier than trying to load a mag through the top!

Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    Its the barrel that sold it for me, and thats what gives it its reputation in my opinion
    Thats the clever marketing bit... making a big deal of guaranteeing that they'll shoot about the same as everything else does, but because its a guarantee people seem to think they're more accurate. It is nice of them to back their product but you still have to find the ammo that it prefers and so on - I used a T3 270 that was grouping about 3" at 100m, rather than blaming the rifle I told the owner he should try out some different ammo first.
    kiwi39 likes this.

The amount of people I have met that have turned up at various shoots with their pride and joy ti then be out shot by the stinky old tikka that then come to the next shoot with you guessed it a stinky old tikka which then made them competitive so go figure!
    Nathan F and Ohutumeats like this.