Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Threading a saiga .223

Seems that part, of the front sight hood needs to be removed, and then threaded, I want to thread it so that I can fit a small can style suppressor. Who would you guys recommend to do the trimming and threading (preferably in Auckland), also I have read that getting the barrel re-crowned helps with accuracy, can this be done on the original crown, or does the barrel need to be shortened slightly so a new crown can be cut. Previously, I have used a local gun shop, but I know they just send it to someone else, and charge me for the convenience, so I'd rather go direct to the source if i can, and save a couple of $$$, I don't mind freighting it to someone who is good/forum member if needs be.

This is what I mean by front sight needing to be trimmed if anyone is unsure...

the front sight is a sleeve that's pressed on, and as I use it i'd rather not have it, but id like to be able to use a can.

Oh and if I have to trim the sleeve, I assume paint will be fine to cover up the bare metal.

Ejected
    A recrown won't take much off so long as it's not to damaged already, .5 to 1mm if that will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    A recrown won't take much off so long as it's not to damaged already, .5 to 1mm if that will fix it.
    Its not damaged at all, and to be honest, it shoots very well. Was shooting 2 inch gongs at 160m today with ease. Cant ask for much more than that from a russian semi. Will get it to the range with the scope rings turn up (using Dealextreme 30mm torch mounts currently lol) and check it. After putting 100 rounds through it today, I definitely want a suppressor.

Glad your liking it. My mate just bought one to do shorty build with. Gonna chop it back to 12"

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

Brennos, here are a couple of things to consider.

Is the barrels bore Hard Chrome lined?
    If it is, whatever you do don't have the crown re-cut, as this will cut through the hard chrome and it will start to peel off!

If the barrel can be easily removed, then it should be a reasonably straight forward job to thread the muzzle.
    If the barrel is pinned in and not so easy to remove. Think about having a threaded bush attached over the barrel section, forward of the front sight base.
    You can then attach your suppressor/Can to this.

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    G'Day Fella's,

Brennos, here are a couple of things to consider.

Is the barrels bore Hard Chrome lined?
    If it is, whatever you do don't have the crown re-cut, as this will cut through the hard chrome and it will start to peel off!
    Yes it is, thanks for the heads up. I wont be re crowning it.

If the barrel can be easily removed, then it should be a reasonably straight forward job to thread the muzzle.
    If the barrel is pinned in and not so easy to remove. Think about having a threaded bush attached over the barrel section, forward of the front sight base.
    You can then attach your suppressor/Can to this.

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer
    How would the threaded bush attach to the barrel, The saiga barrel wont easily remove, so the bush option would be the best option I assume.

Ejected
    I'm guessing Homer is talking about sweating it on.