Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tikka 284 or 280ai

Tikka 284 or 280ai

Hi fellas,

Got a little dilemma. I'm planning a custom build to go full carbon based off a tikka t3 action. Those of you that know t3's know that you struggle to seat out projectiles with the magazine the way it is.
    So I can go .284 which is a good calibre I have no issue with it but I really like 280 AI for ability to be able to get some more speed. 284 is a short action which means I can use it in a long action magazine in the tikka and have room but the 280 is limited. So atm 284 is the pick of the bunch.

My question for all you knowledgable people is what brand of actions can you get more length out of the projectiles n still fit in the action n magazine?

Hopefully I haven't confused you guys n hopefully someone has some info on it,

Cheers in advance!

Remington 700
    Kiwi Greg and camo wsm like this.

Even the older tikka M695 is longer then the t3

& get a proper carbon barrel

I wanted 280Rem and it was a decision between Tikka T3 or Remington 700 and went with Remington because of the magazine length problem. How long is the Tikka 695 270Win magazine? Is it possible to buy Tikka 695 mags? I know that Tikka M55 mags are impossible.

Yes the 690 and 695 are still kicking around and I think mags are still available from berreta, at a premium but you should not need more than 2 spare mags. They are very heavy and rigid actions, so not the best start if the plan is to built lightweight. A Remington would be better. Have you considered the kimber Montana 280ai ? No mucking around and available from the shelf.

Here is some carbon tape to tune up the kimber ;-) https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...iber-tape.html

I've done two 284. One in Tikka 708 and another in Weatherby ultralight. Both at 20".
    To be fair the Weatherby was nice and light.
    Keep us posted mate I'm in hospital and I'm bored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WallyR likes this.
    Dan M

what's your intended use for 284 or 280AI ? If you want a mix of bush hunting and tops, then the 284 is the better choice becos you can get away with shorter barrel. 18 - 20 in or less if you wish to sacrifice some speed/range. If you want max fps and mostly open tops then the 280AI is going to have the edge but you'll need a min bbl length of 24in. Some would say longer. Personally I stuck with 24in. Have you thought about Model7 7mm SAUM ? same or better speed as the 280AI and a short action and out of 22in bbl ...NICE !

7mmSAUM on a T3 action?
    199p and Danny like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

284 or might as well go 7mmRM imo
    Freezer and Danny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    284 or might as well go 7mmRM imo
    unless you are happy loading 10g less powder for similar speeds and less recoil.

Cheers guys some good answers and some answers lol. Just saying remington 700 tells me nothing have you used that action on a 280 ai and been able to seat the projectiles out? or do you have to modify it more therefore costing more money. Kiwi greg what do you mean a "proper" carbon barrel? I'm not against the 7mm saum but have been told it is a barrel burner?

Cheers for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by dedubyah View Post
    unless you are happy loading 10g less powder for similar speeds and less recoil.
    That brings up a good point, often people compare max loaded rounds (PSI) in a smaller calibre to a larger one with standard loads and come to the conclusion the smaller case is almost as good as the larger one.
    Danny likes this.

If you go down the .284 route pretty much any long action will give you loads of room to seat projectiles way out and still fit mags. If you want a bit more velocity and something different, you may wish to consider the .284 Win based .284 Shehane, which has less taper and can take about 3 grains more powder. It's the .284 Win version of the .280 AI.

If you're chasing velocity from a .284, perhaps a 7mm Rem Mag on a Remington action may be the way to go? Mag length for a custom chambered T3 in 7RM would be a problem.

I'm in the process of getting a 7mmsaum on a Tikka T3 with a 20" carbon barrel so can't wait to see how it goes. Already have a model 7 on 7mmsaum but want to be able to seat the 162 grn out further.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum and Danny like this.