Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Tikka T3 bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Not quite. Not every rifle has a big button on the side to press
    Is that really how people loose them? Accidentally pushing the bolt release? You must be joking.
    I know Tikkas have a smooth action but do people really walk around with the bolt open and then "bump" the bolt release????
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I've heard/read more than one account of someone having the rifle on their back with bolt closed, catching the bolt on a branch/pack strap/whatever without noticing and opening it, then accidentally bumping the release on something else and dropping the bolt out.

Of course there are ways of avoiding that situation, but obviously it does happen and they do seem more susceptible to it than most other rifles.

I'm sure someone will pop up soon and tell me that it couldn't possibly be anything to do with the rifle design because Tikkas are perfect in every way and nobody should ever want to buy anything else.
    gadgetman and PERRISCICABA like this.

And all this circles back to the opening post for this thread.

I think I'll put a string on it

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    And all this circles back to the opening post for this thread.

I think I'll put a string on it
    I've heard about people looping a rubber band around the bolt to stop it sliding back. Mind you I think they were people who hunt with the bolt up rather than trusting the safety, so they'd be more susceptible to it falling out.

If it really worries you there are plenty of other rifle options around the same price point that are just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I've heard/read more than one account of someone having the rifle on their back with bolt closed, catching the bolt on a branch/pack strap/whatever without noticing and opening it, then accidentally bumping the release on something else and dropping the bolt out.

Of course there are ways of avoiding that situation, but obviously it does happen and they do seem more susceptible to it than most other rifles.
    I'm sure someone will pop up soon and tell me that it couldn't possibly be anything to do with the rifle design because Tikkas are perfect in every way and nobody should ever want to buy anything else.
    Well I'll be goatfucked. Would never have thought someone could be that unlucky. I just assumed people took them out and forgot where they put them or left them on the roof of the car or something.

I lost the bolt on my mates .22 ansultz once. Slung on my shoulder and must have opened up and fell out. Lucky we retraced our steps on the farm and found it. I never would have thought it to be a problem but its happened to me out of no where so I know it can happen. Hard to understand until it happens to you I guess.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I'm sure plenty of people forget where they put them as well!
    Dougie likes this.

@Gerbs. If you are really worried about loosing your bolt when the rifle is slung or whatever do the following.
    Close the bolt on an empty chamber and apply the safety. This will lock the bolt down.
    If you STILL think you can accidentally knock off the safety, THEN bump the bolt open, THEN depress the bolt release, I think you should look at getting a single shot or perhaps a lever action. Don't get a semi. that would have to be a disaster waiting to happen.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

ebf
    Close the fukn bolt, problem sorted.

If you are actively hunting, close it on a round, put the safety on and keep your finger outside the trigger guard.

If you are not hunting, unload the magazine and chamber, close the bolt.
    Bryan, HUNTY, Dougie and 2 others like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Cheers for the replies - cheeky and otherwise!
    I usually hunt with an unloaded rifle and closed bolt - a Ruger M77.

As I mentioned, I'm looking for something reliable and fairly newbie-proof, and the Tikka does have a good reputation - except for the mystery of the missing bolt

"I usually hunt with an unloaded rifle and closed bolt" (quote)

Good luck trying to kill animals with that
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    "I usually hunt with an unloaded rifle and closed bolt" (quote)

Good luck trying to kill animals with that
    Haven't had an issue yet!
    I don't stalk - I'm a patient man

Ok, let's be fair, however we "DO" have many people who "lost" their bolt we no actually know exactly HOW they been lost or misplaced, so, I have till just early today 4 Tikka's T3 lite in 3 different calibers, I take them for a walk quiet often(one of them per/each walk) and the only time I "misplaced" my bolt was because I left it home, sadly it was 3 hours later since I left home.
    All the or post in here, independent of the opinion and "piss taking" are correct and everybody should look after their hunting "patterns" and habits to keep it safe in any condition or situation.
    Any good hunter know that you must load your firearm only when you ready to shoot, otherwise leave the chamber empty, bolt closed and safety on, this manner your bolt will not open during your walk and if you fall or slip it will have a very little or NONE chance to discharge. In the other hand, if you hunt in your own and think it is safe enough to carry your rifle loaded, fair enough, do it, but, make sure your bolt is closed properly(not half cocked) and your safety is ON. I do understand the some manufacturers have the safety lock independent from the bolt handling, what will still allow the bolt to get open if snagged somewhere.
    So, my $.50 of opinion, does not matter how you hunt, be safe out there, carry your firearm in a way you and your hunting partners will be safe in all possible conditions/situations.

Have fun out there and shoot or spank your "game" with your rifle if necessary but do it safely.

All the best.

Mac
    veitnamcam, Dougie and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post

+1

Had the bolt drop on the counter at the shop when I looked for a rifle and my thumb touched the release. Also seemed too easy to brush the safety off and catch the bolt handle; I had a play with this in the shop after the bolt dropped out. I figured this was likely to be why so many bolts slipped quietly out when the rifle was slung for the big walk.

So being the klutz I am I bought one with a tang mounted three position safety (damned near impossible to knock) and that you have to be a contortionist to operate the bolt release (a button forward of the trigger guard while squeezing the trigger and withdrawing the bolt). Being a newbie myself at the time I figured these were better safety features and the price was basically the same, and slightly cheaper by the time you added the almost obligatory limb saver to the T3.
    mikee and GravelBen like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Struggle with this bolt losing deal , especially if ya carrying ya shooter properly haha but looking at retiring early I think a heavy spring,, bolt release kit for the doubters might get the new clubsport in the garage earlier haha
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL