Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Tikka T3 bolts

I'd guess the only reason why you perceive so many Tikka bolts are lost is because there are so many more Tikkas out there than any other brand and many are owned by young and inexperienced guys who are losing their bolt for the first time. I once left my vest with bolt in pocket on the roof of car. Didn't realise until back at home and cleaning rifle the next day. It wasn't a Tikka , but rest assured I learned my lesson and it is highly unlikely to ever happen again. So, it's not the brand or model mate... Just the absent minded users
    veitnamcam, HUNTY, Dougie and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Close the fukn bolt, problem sorted.

If you are actively hunting, close it on a round, put the safety on and keep your finger outside the trigger guard.

If you are not hunting, unload the magazine and chamber, close the bolt.
    On a recent hunt I got a bit of slack for hunting at action with the safety on (front of the group, rifle at ready). Other rifle in the party is a firm believer of half cock. So after we had unloaded and came down a big slippery hill and were talking shit before hunting again, ammo got put away and we carried out some little tests.

The savage DOES NOT HAVE A HALF COCK. If you bump the trigger when "half cock", the rifle will fire and the bolt slam down automatically.

The other rifle didn't have a very solid half cock either...it would fire if the bolt wasn't in the exact perfect position. From memory this was a T3 lite.

Anyway....that's my stand on things ;-) and I store my rifles with the bolt in (unloaded obviously, ammo stored in a different place), I travel with the bolt in, I walk in with the bolt in.

Bolt comes out for cleaning only.

Plus on the Savage you have to have three hands to use the bolt release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Pretty much all modern turn bolts do not have a half cock, they cock on opening and are fully cocked until the bolt is closed and trigger pulled.
    Use the safety or use an open bolt with your thumb on the bolt.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I thought half cock was from a .303 there's that thing on the back you can pull back to the first clock? That was the half cock then you could fully cock it by pulling it to the second click?

My Howa has a pretty mean half bolt or what ever it's called it clicks into place really solid. So does my 8mm actually its mint
    Danny likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I thought half cock was from a .303 there's that thing on the back you can pull back to the first clock? That was the half cock then you could fully cock it by pulling it to the second click?

My Howa has a pretty mean half bolt or what ever it's called it clicks into place really solid. So does my 8mm actually its mint

Yes that's it on the 303.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    On a recent hunt I got a bit of slack for hunting at action with the safety on (front of the group, rifle at ready). Other rifle in the party is a firm believer of half cock. So after we had unloaded and came down a big slippery hill and were talking shit before hunting again, ammo got put away and we carried out some little tests.

The savage DOES NOT HAVE A HALF COCK. If you bump the trigger when "half cock", the rifle will fire and the bolt slam down automatically.

The other rifle didn't have a very solid half cock either...it would fire if the bolt wasn't in the exact perfect position. From memory this was a T3 lite.

Anyway....that's my stand on things ;-) and I store my rifles with the bolt in (unloaded obviously, ammo stored in a different place), I travel with the bolt in, I walk in with the bolt in.

Bolt comes out for cleaning only.

Plus on the Savage you have to have three hands to use the bolt release
    Did it actually fire when you pull the trigger in half bolt position, or just drop the bolt but without enough force on the firing pin to fire? I've heard the story that they will fire bounced around the internet, but never from anybody that has actually had it happen. Keep meaning to test it with my 223 but I never remember when I'm out shooting, I've tried it with the 22 and that doesn't fire despite similar stories. Obviously not the safest thing to rely on it though I agree, especially when the rifle has a good safety anyway. The only real reason I know of for relying primarily on half-bolt is a dodgy/worn-out safety.

The safety on the Ruger (also 3-stage like the Savage) has a handy function for people who like half-cock in that you can lock the bolt in a half-open position - bolt up (not halfway), and the safety will lock it there so it can't close or slide back.

I've been known to use a half-bolt as well as the safety at times - as much as anything because giving yourself two things to do before firing can help you slow down and think about the shot for a bit longer.

I store my bolts separately to my rifles (more effort for any potential thieves to slow them down/put them off, and no real extra effort for me) and I've never had any trouble remembering where I keep them! If I'm travelling with rifle/s then if I have to leave them in the car I can keep the bolt in my pocket, again extra security for no real effort. Hopefully I'll never need that extra security, but its not costing me anything to do it. Same reason I have my serial numbers written down.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 20-10-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Hunt4life likes this.

I can't speak for the Tikka T3 models, but I have owned a Tikka M590 and a M595 (both .308)...both had the same 'feature' of half closed bolt slamming down and firing pin hitting home when trigger released. The only 'safe' positions for Tikka are either fully open (noisy rattle and potential to lose the bolt and/or get foreign matter into receiver) or closed on empty breach.

A personal thing for sure, but I never "half cock". I'm either ready to fire, or cannot fire without considerable intentional effort

I see in the dictionary that half cocked = "lacking adequate preparation or forethought"...I guess that about covers it.
    gadgetman, Dougie and Hunt4life like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.