Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 2 Post By redbang
  • 1 Post By Spanners

Thread: Two new scopes...

Two new scopes...

Hi guys, I'm travelling around the states at the moment and am after Two new scopes... A total budget of 1000usd would be desirable but I could possibly stretch a little.

The first is for my tikka 7mm08. I intend to get this to the point of being a 500m rifle so the ability to dial reliably and enough magnification is important. I think I would like something with an upper magnification of say 12x so side focus might be required. I am not worried of tube diameter but for ease of swapping it over to something else in the event of a failure a 25mm tube may be helpful.
    Some ideas so far I have had:
    Bushnell elite 2.5-16 $730
    Clearidge ultra XP5 2.5-12. $500
    leupold vx3 CDS 4.5-14LR $730
    Vortex viper HS 4-16LR $539

The second is for my 22-250. This is my do everyone rifle so it needs a do everything scope. Deer in the bush, wallaby in the spotlight. Goats and fallow out to 250-300m. It is light so would like to keep the scope relatively compact too. Not essential to dial but could possibly be convinced to go down the CDS track as my load will not be changing and it might be handy for rabbits etc.
    Possible options
    Leupold vx3 2.5-8 $400
    Burris full field e1 2-7. $200
    Bushnell elite 2-7 $250

So if anyone could suggest a combination of the above or anything new even it would be much appreciated. The main thing getting repeatable dialing for the 7mm08 with something that is a compact all rounder for the 250 and relatively good quality of glass for both

Re: Two new scopes...

Dont get the leupold for dialing. Out of the choices for your 708 i would go with the bushy or vortex

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

All your 7mm scopes look perfect for the 22-250 certainly with the top end magnification. But then I use mine as a varmint gun. Have a Clearidge, several Leupolds, a Vortex amongst my scopes. Long while since I had a Bushnell but have nothing against their top of line models. I would favour the Vortex. Gets down to what sort of reticle you then desire/need. Good one to have done the research on b4 going.

Two new scopes...

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Dont get the leupold for dialing. Out of the choices for your 708 i would go with the bushy or vortex

Why not the Leupold for dialling? Thought they were one of the better lower priced scopes for that?!

Caretaker

Two new scopes...

Buy two VX-3 4.5-14 with the CDS dial in MOA.

Easy to use on any rifle/ammo combination.
    Spanners, veitnamcam and Kiwi Greg like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Two new scopes...

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Buy two VX-3 4.5-14 with the CDS dial in MOA.

Easy to use on any rifle/ammo combination.
    That would be my vote too, the Leupolds I've owned have been good scopes.
    They are tough, reliable and have good glass for their price. The VX3's glass is supposed to be better than the VX111 though I'm yet to take a look through one.
    Also the warranty is excellent.

If you accidentally bought 3 I'm sure I could find another rifle to put one on! ;-)

Don't forget the Sightrons, they are excellent value for money and have a good range of models. I've got two of them now and rate them highly.
    Savage1 and NZHTR like this.

i certainly dont have any probs with my vortex but its a pst 6-24x50 id say my next scope will be the same brand aswell
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Too many failures with the loopys imo for reliable dialing unless you go to the mk4

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Too many failures with the loopys imo for reliable dialing unless you go to the mk4

Do we maybe see more failures in the public eye as there are 10x as many out there as anything else?

I havnt heard of VX3 being an issue
    veitnamcam likes this.

L.R
    Nothing wrong with the VX3. Not top of the line reliability but not top of the line price either. They are a very good scope for the money.

I have 3 x 4.5-14 x 40 VX3 CDS, have been very reliable for me so far.

I can dial the 308 with 125s out past 800 accurately

They aren't a MK4 or NF but they are under half the price & probably size & weight as well.....

Thats cool guys just my opinion after a bad experience and seen it happen to a mate at the range doing a box test. They are bloody good in the warranty dept but id only buy one as a non dialing scope.