Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Ultralight rifle

Ultralight rifle

I'm after a mountain rifle in a common calibre (.270, 7mm-08 etc). It will be used for shots out to 350 yards.

It needs to be durable, rather accurate, easy to carry, and no frills.

Currently I'm swinging between the Kimber Montana or the Weatherby MK V ultralight. Anyone used either? Very conflicting reviews on both the Weatherby MK V's, and the Kimbers regarding poor accuracy.

I've handled both and find them both pretty comfortable to bring to the shoulder, with a slight edge to the Mark V.

Cheers.

Rem Model seven? only in short actions but pretty light and low on frills, usually good accuracy
    7mmsaum, GWH, Gibo and 1 others like this.

ive got 2 kimber montanas they are really accurate but i have had a dud 260 montana which was common, i think the new kimbers are a step up from the older ones as far as accuracy is conserned
    BRADS likes this.

Not keen on the remington. Preferably a rifle I don't need to do much work on (really nice factory trigger, bedded etc).

I had a Sako Finnlight, but had issues with it and dealing with Beretta.

Winchester extreme weather is another I've looked at.

Kimber has a short stock which sucks if you're a big fella.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Have a look at the new Howa lite weight rifles too seen plenty of good reviews but havnt seen one in the flesh
    Spudattack and chainsaw like this.

Forbes if you can find one in 260 or 7mm08. Might even have new ones with the supplier in 270/3006

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I'm after a mountain rifle in a common calibre (.270, 7mm-08 etc). It will be used for shots out to 350 yards.

It needs to be durable, rather accurate, easy to carry, and no frills.

Currently I'm swinging between the Kimber Montana or the Weatherby MK V ultralight. Anyone used either? Very conflicting reviews on both the Weatherby MK V's, and the Kimbers regarding poor accuracy.

I've handled both and find them both pretty comfortable to bring to the shoulder, with a slight edge to the Mark V.

Cheers.
    Mk5 Weatherby Ultralight does have disadvantages: nothing much you can do with the trigger, so you have to learn to shoot as is, recoil increasing stock design, and they went through a bad patch with barrels. But - they are very durable stocks that can take all sorts of abuse and they shoulder and point well, and the rifle can be very accurate once you get the hang of locking it in with the sling to control recoil effect, in the process of rebarreling a .270 Ultralight to 2506 Rem, specifically as a 400yd tops/alpine rifle, wore out 2 x 2506 barrels in one of these, I rate them. Not keen on the Kimber, based on what I hear, not actual experience though.
    chainsaw likes this.

I like the Kimber and ultralight. Both of mine were 280ai so both booted a bit, easy as to handle but something to bare in mind.
    Some have had Forbes, I haven't but they look good.
    Been some good rifles on here for sale mate but it would depend on price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Kimber Hunter?

Name:  received_10206862498742169[1].jpeg
Views: 1679
Size:  73.0 KB
    Frodo likes this.

What issues did you have with the Finnlite?

My finnlight flung empty cases into the underside of my brand new scope, scratching the paint off. I was using low optilock rings.

I'm not a fan of Beretta and the way they do business in general, so I'm never putting my money into another Sako 85. They're good rifles if you get one which ejects fine.

im a big fan of the kimber
    i wish my montana had the fluited barrel but trust me they are almost silly light and dont need it
    seriously tho you gain nothing over a t3 tikka and my mountain rifle (280rem is a tikka) and when you are skidding down a scree slope you dont think twice about burying the tikka deep
    Pointer, Timmay, Shearer and 1 others like this.

I am really impressed with my Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle, for the money it is a really good package, not much really needs to be done, mount a scope and go shoot stuff.
    Comes factory cerakoted, Bansner (Legendary Arms) High Tech composite stock, 5.7lbs, factory trigger is great and fully adjustable, most (from reviews) seem to be accurate, mine sure is.

Never used any of the others you were looking at so can't comment, sure they are good too. Moulded trigger guard and stock on the kimber hunter would put me off.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Cheers for the recommendations guys, much appreciated.

When I bought my sako, I had a "spend as much possible" mindset. I ended up having very high expectations, which only made it worse when the rifle didn't live up to them. Furthermore, I realised my needs in the field weren't necessarily the same as my preconceived requirements. E.g most of my shots were 350 yards and under, making a large scope/expensive rifle not particularly practical.

Recently I bought a nice wooden stocked rifle, more for the form than the function...and even though I'll hang onto it, it's not something I want to go bashing up on the mountains.

So something like a Tikka, Kimber or Howa sounds pretty good for NZ conditions, and I won't be paying $$ for features which don't make any difference realistically speaking.