Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Very hard extraction.

Very hard extraction.

OK, the girls rifle seems to shoot OK but there is a major extraction issue. The rounds are handloads with new Norma brass so shiny, clean and should not have any sizing issues. The loads are above ADI's max but show no signs of pressure. The bolt lift after firing is very easy but it takes several blows with the heel of my hand to move the bolt back. The necks once extracted look quite dirty. Very much like in this video.

What suggestions do you guys have?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I used to get that in my 308 with fiocchi factory rounds. I stopped using them and went back to corelokts.
    Ya can't park there mate.

P38
    Back off a couple of grains in powder and try again.

Cheers
    Pete
    kimjon likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Previous owner had the same issue with factory or hand loaded ammo I believe.

When I can walk I'll grab some of the brass and have a good look at it. There is a small gark on the neck of the brass and also on the wall of the brass by the neck. Both marks seem to line up.

Work scrubbing out the chamber in the neck area?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Rough chamber, must be a Remington it's the only company that would let that pass QA. Case forms over the rough ridge and gets stuck is my guess.

Gone but not forgotten
    You mentioned in another thread that the handloads were loaded for another rifle, which I was taught was a no-no (unless they were very mild/starting loads). Add in that they are above max published load I would be very suspicious that they are too hot. You say no signs of pressure, but isn't sticky extraction a sign of pressure?
    I would make up some rounds with starting loads and see if you have the same issue with them.
    P38 likes this.

You could have a build of carbon around the neck area into the chamber. One way of clearing that is rotating a bronze brush in that area after having stacked the area with a carbon remover like Boretech c4 or some kroil oil.

Maybe your chamber needs cleaning or polishing as well?

But also start with less powder reloads and see what happens.
    You could also have Primery extraction issues with too big a gap between the bolt handle and rear of the action cam face. It pays to put a bit of grease on that area as well.
    gadgetman and kimjon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    You mentioned in another thread that the handloads were loaded for another rifle, which I was taught was a no-no (unless they were very mild/starting loads). Add in that they are above max published load I would be very suspicious that they are too hot. You say no signs of pressure, but isn't sticky extraction a sign of pressure?
    I would make up some rounds with starting loads and see if you have the same issue with them.
    It is pretty much the standard handload recipe for 7mm RM on here and the only issue is the extraction. Bolt lift fine, primers fine and it does it with factory ammo too. My pick is not the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Primary extraction issue
    This is the problem

I would suspect you may have no primary extraction. I have had 2 Remington both supplied brand new (and robbed for their a actions for custom builds)brand new with this exact same issue. One I had sorted and other has now been away a month being sorted after persevering with it for 3 years. Most accurate single shot I owned but if you missed then you were fucked
    See here,
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiazonic View Post
    Rough chamber, must be a Remington it's the only company that would let that pass QA. Case forms over the rough ridge and gets stuck is my guess.
    It's a Browning A-bolt and looking at the brass I can see a few marks that are the same on all the brass that has gone through this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I would suspect you may have no primary extraction. I have had 2 Remington both supplied brand new (and robbed for their a actions for custom builds)brand new with this exact same issue. One I had sorted and other has now been away a month being sorted after persevering with it for 3 years. Most accurate single shot I owned but if you missed then you were fucked
    See here,
    Will check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Will check that out!
    Don't think it will apply if we are not talking about a remington but what you describe happening is something I have experienced repeatedly
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Don't think it will apply if we are not talking about a remington but what you describe happening is something I have experienced repeatedly
    I suspect it is primary extraction.

Name:  DSC_0062a.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  100.0 KB

Hold on, the gun on the video was a right hand gun and this one is a left hand one? What is up with that inspector gadget?
    And you said it was a rem 700 problem in the title and yet you show us an a-bolt now?