Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar

What after market stock should you buy??

Now with this great new forum up and running lets get into talking about what you may need to consider when choosing a stock to customize your rifle, ie what options are available from what stock makers, is the stock design right for what you want to use it for, stock weights when made from different material, what finishes are available, who make the best stocks, what stocks work best on what makes of rifles, what looks cool etc
    So what made your mind up on the stock you bought when you were wanting a new aftermarket stock to customize your rifle??
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

I am a huge McMillan fan. I think they make the best range of different, useful styles, heaps of options for fill, colour etc and the quality is top notch.

I own a McMillan HTG, Sako 75 (EDGE) and have had 2x High Tech and HS Precision as well. McMillan shits all over HS.

Manners are nice as well but less range to choose from and less hunting oriented.

For me i have gone Mcmillan edge A3 - slimmer trimmer fore-end and i found i never needed the butthook thing anyway. Once you get used to the vertical grip they are good to use i reckon.

I have a few Mcmillan Edge stocks 2 LA & 1 SA I really like them, they are very light.
    I also have another early Mcmillan off a Rem Custom shop rifle.
    I have a couple of HS 700p & Sendero stocks as well as another HS hunter type stock, they all weigh about the same....heaps
    I do like the Edge stocks the most for hunting rifles light is good
    My 338 imp has an AICS stock which is very good for LR steel shooting.
    I will have an XLR chassis in a week or so
    It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I've just put my T3 into a Manners stock, will see how it goes this week/weekend.

Style all comes down to personal preference, I don't like stocks designed for prone use or fat, vertical pistol grips.

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

Gimp, I'm the same as yourself.
    I'm not much of a fan of the "Tactical" type stocks and because of this, I have a number (8 ?) of the High Tech Specialties (HTS) stocks, fitted to my hunting and shooting rifles.
    I have a McMillan Hunter Class stock fitted to my Live Varmint, switch barrel (.22-250 AI & 6.5 x 47 Lapua at present) rifle and no doubt about it, McMillan are very good but HTS are still good but a heap cheaper!!!
    I firmly believe that HS Precision stocks are only average!
    What HS don't tell you is, the reason that they have an Aluminum bedding block in their stocks, is because if they didn't, any good whack and the stock would break!
    They Have To put the Aluminum bedding bits in there, to give the synthetic stock material they use (injection molded), some rigidity and strength!!!

I hope that helps with some decisions

Doh!
    Homer
    Last edited by Homer; 07-12-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: I'm a Slow and Dumb prick

DAF
    Mcmillan all the way for me, I have an ADJ HTG and an 2x A5's, it took a while to adjust to the A5 Style but I quite like it now.
    The HTG is my fav most versatile stock

I like McMillan over Manners as they seem to have more rounded edges generally , the manners I like the most are the T & T3 .
    In McM , like the A2 , A5 , HTG & the McHale , adjustable stock options , I like best are the KMW Loggerhead unit .

I like the molded in camo & the swirls as well .

Be aware IF you have a unusuall action/rifle , you can get a flat top option , ie no inletting , you or your gunsmith mill it .

Cheers Chris

Something made out out of walnut.Kevin gaskils making me one now

If I didn't have to worry about price I would get one of these...

Name:  mcs-sl1.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  40.6 KB

Light classic(ish) style and useable.

Dreams are free aye?

Hey I guess Manners have a new and less-awful website.