Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

What do you know about B. Nickel scopes?

In my quest to replenish my stock of scopes, I just picked up a B Nickel scope on a semi whim and I was wondering what anyone in here might be able to tell me about the manufacturer, the scopes in general or any experiences with them, as I haven't come across them before.

I couldn't find much on the net so if you know of a good site then I'd be interested in having a nosey.

From the one I bought (waiting for it to arrive) it is marked B. Nickel, Marburg/L. Variabel 2.5-6. Made in Germany.

Cheers

I found the factory to be less than helpful in terms of response to a seal leaking problem I had with one of their scopes (a 4-16x56). They came up with a rather specious answer to why they would not honour their guarantee. I had to pay for the factory to fix the seals. But they were better than Zeiss in their requirements - no special insurance and shipping requirements. But the job was just as expensive as Zeiss. At that point I could see why people bought a Leupold - amazingly good after sales service. Nice scope otherwise.

I still have Nickel Marburg in use just not on one of my primary rifles though. It is their 4x81 model. 81 being the luminosity rating. It is a 4x36 so back then they divided the 36 by 4 and squared the result to give a luminosity figure. My scope is unbelievably 50 years old but has clarity to match many modern scopes. Doesn’t have all the modern lens treatments of course. In its day it was a very popular scope on the NZ hunting scene along with the Pecar 4x81. The Pecar was slightly better tube wise as it was steel versus the Nickel’s alloy. I had a Pecar for a short while but it drove me mad as any major adjustment to the reticle and the reticle visibly moved in your view whereas the Nickel was always centered in your view. With the Pecar you ideally needed windage adjustments on your rings. I did see a more modern and new Nickel for sale in a gun shop in Canberra approx. 20 years ago – had the Nickel brand but appear to be under Hertel and Reuss manufacture IIRC. It was quite expensive. Back in their day variable power scopes were not popular as there was a perception (cannot remember if warranted, a bit b4 my time) for unreliability – sealing issues and moving point of aim when changing power.

Cheers @zimmer and @rupert . What did you think of the optical quality of the scopes you had/ have?

I had an early Nickel 4x36 one of the moving reticle type the optics like any German scope are excellent even without the modern coatings I would buy a modern Nickel scope if the opportunity arose,
    You will be very happy with your new scope it's as good or better than anything out of the US