Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: What would your ultimate Bush Pig rifle build be and what NZ gunsmith would you use?

thanks Zimmer......somethings still work just as well today as they always have....... they just arent trendy anymore
    mercator pocket knives
    buller gumboots
    frame packs
    sugar bag pikau
    and last but not least...fishing with worms LOL
    7mmsaum, Shootm and mikee like this.

Fished with worms onnthe Murrey river last year, was so funny going and buying them from the gas station
    gadgetman likes this.

16 inches suppressed and good old 308, optic a 2-7 vortex so when it shits itself at-least you got the vip warranty . what rifle/suppressor you buy is your decision. personally tikka/dpt
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    16 inches suppressed and good old 308, optic a 2-7 vortex so when it shits itself at-least you got the vip warranty . what rifle/suppressor you buy is your decision. personally tikka/dpt
    This. Mine: Remington/Leupold VX2/DPT.

This works for me, 308 russian cut to 18 inches, ati stocked with timney trigger and long eye relief scope. It doesn't seem to rust, and to 200m is deadly, after that guessing the drop makes it interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    von tempsky fan and Friwi like this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I must be boring my bush rifle is a Sako AII in 308 with 4x Burris. I like because of the positive half cock and handy weight.
    deer243 and LOC like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

This would be ideal and I would use Allen Carr just down the road in Paraparaumu

Do you really need something with a massive pill for short range bush hunting? My experience level with this is zero. I would have thought that for close range work pretty much anything would have enough wallop, the main thing is to put the lead sleeping pill in the right place?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Alan did my 308 russian off a 1943 mosin nagant bloody good job on a relic, i like it more than my remington.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Do you really need something with a massive pill for short range bush hunting? My experience level with this is zero. I would have thought that for close range work pretty much anything would have enough wallop, the main thing is to put the lead sleeping pill in the right place?
    I believe the advantage of a heavy pill is less deflection off twigs/small branches etc that you often end up shooting through when bush hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I believe the advantage of a heavy pill is less deflection off twigs/small branches etc that you often end up shooting through when bush hunting.
    I believe that was tested and completely debunked a few years back.
    Smiddy, deer243 and Friwi like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yep.... but how fangible a projectile is will make a difference...

And while the debunking was conclusive if I remember, basic physics would suggest that the deviation caused by projectiles at the same speed, but with different masses should vary... I have always been puzzled by that. Perhaps it is why the idea persists?
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    99 % of all my hunting is bushstalking. Ive never found the need to do a "bushpig build"" as such. Using a standard 22 inch barrel in a 243 has been my go to rifle since i started out and its been great. People chop their rifles, suppressor them and chop as much weight of them as they can. They also tend to want to go to a bigger Cal . Its their choice, and thats all fine.Nothing wrong with it, i handled mates rifles that are deemed "bushpigs"but does nothing for me.
    I find the longer barrel length no problem what so ever, even my back up 308 is 24 inches and i use that often in the bush and again no problem. Getting a lighter stock prob makes sense if you really want save weight, bolt fluting etc is just a look thing and waste of money. The 243 is awesome in the bush, esp for those ranges, underrated in my opinon. Certainly doesnt lack any fire power at all for the bush. Still, if you want go the Custom "bushpig way"" others on here will be able to help you out. Everyman and his dog has a "bushpig"if a bush hunter, i just find theres no real need if you cant be bothered.
    Just going a standard 22 or 20 inch, maybe a light weight stock and use a light weight scope and you good to go.
    No need to go 308 or bigger, something lighter is find but you not going wrong thou using a cannon lol instead of a "ratgun"like me. Theres always times where a longer shot in some country comes up, hence why i have a 308 as well, as the 243 is darm awesome but i limit it to 250 tops so the 308 has more options and works well if its chopped so its the popular choice
    What he said,

Run a .243 with 22in barrel and the Sierra 85g HPBT have such good hydrostatic shock nothing has walked away. Have considered chopping it but just can't justify it...

Name:  Ruger M77 Hawkeye .243 Matt SS Custom Skeleton Stock 3-9x50 Leupold VX-R LVR   MAE CPBLS Suppres.jpg
Views: 4035
Size:  1.28 MB
    Last edited by Double Shot; 08-12-2016 at 05:53 PM.
    sneeze, deer243 and anthony like this.

It seems like everyone is missing the point... the bush pig thing is only an issue if you want a can, and don't want the extra length and weight on the end of your barrel that a good can creates.

If you don't want a can, good luck to you and your increasing deafness.... or your fumbling for something to stuff in your ears...

If you do want to use a suppressor; personally I don't like putting cans on anything over 20 inches in length, and preferably about 16" so that the extra 4-5" forwards make it a total about back to where we started. People who started doing this soon worked out that a small amount of velocity loss made little difference to the thing you point it at, and in fact if you reloaded, using faster powders still got you back to almost the same velocities as what you are buying in factory boxes with the original length barrel.

Now there are 2 reasons, why you might not want to chop.... you have a nice original rifle or you don't want a suppressor. Don't chop if you don't want a supressor. Its almost all minuses. If you can live with an original length rifle and a suppressor, good luck to you also... some do just because they don't want to chop a nice rifle.

Outside of that, for me at least it's purely pragmatic.... I've already lost as much hearing as I want to and I don't want to cart a telephone pole around in the bush.
    outdoorlad, GWH, Shearer and 3 others like this.

I have no problem with standard length barrel and a light can. I mostly use a 23" barreled .243 and 85gr tsx. I have a nice Carbon fiber can which i dont really notice the weight or length. I dont mind using it without the can for the odd shot either.
    Hearing is just a part of your overall health and we all sacrifice our health in some way or another, prolonged loud music, smoking, alcohol, sugar, overweight.
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin