Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Smiddy
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: What's a good spotting scope?

What's a good spotting scope?

I need to buy a spotting scope I've never owned one before so need pointing in the right direction. I've been leaning towards the Leupold Kenai 25-60x80 if anyone is using one of these what are your thoughts? Otherwise what is a good spotter for around the two grand mark?

Cheers Antz

Heh @Antz you need to say what your intended use is - rifle range/sighting in, or ridgetop sitting and glassing. I presume given your budget it will be for hunting? Also angled or straight eyepiece will come into it. I have a older Kowa which in its time was very expensive. Is has an angled eyepiece which would be my preference for rifle range or ridge. My Kowa though is quite heavy and would be a bloody pain carting out hunting, it is also only shower proof at most. My Kowa is 80mm (preferable) but only has fixed power lenses my most powerful being 25x. On the cheaper scopes, and I have no knowledge of the Kenai, they are absolutely useless at the higher powers (unclear and dull). Also at the higher powers your field of view is poor on all of them. Someone else would be better suited to comment on suitable power for hunting purposes.
    Last edited by zimmer; 18-03-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Sorry forgot to add I'll be using it for glassing hunting areas. I think an a led eyepiece would e more comfortable to use whilst sitting/lying down. Cheers Zimmer

Cheers Antz

Got my one on trademe bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Antz likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Brought a barska 20-60x80 for dirt cheap (200 from memory) when I first started hunting, just replaced it with a leupold ventura sx1 very happywith the new one, you sure get what you pay for with optics!
    Antz likes this.

Are you interested in selling the barska?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Nah keeping it to get bashed around by friends and going to look after my sx1!
    puku likes this.