Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Solo

Thread: Who has a 338 Win Mag?

Who has a 338 Win Mag?

Who out there has and uses a 338 Win Mag. This caliber is one of my favorites and has been since I had a bit to do with an Aussie mates Ruger M77 MK II on a hunt for Fallow deer in 1999. I shot a nice Buck with his rifle and was quite impressed with the caliber even if it was a tad big for Fallow.
    I decided to hunt Alaska for moose in 2002 so I tried to get a factory 338 but none were available a the time so a local gunsmith agreed to make one for me.
    It consisted of a 1909 Argentino 98 mauser action suitable for using a scope sight, a stainless MAB barrel at 24 inches was added. The stock is a Butler creek and it has a timminy trigger adjusted to 3 pound. I had Burris bases and rings fitted then mounted my oldest scope I have a VXII 2x7x 32 Leupold I bought in Aussie in 1981 ( still going strong)
    This rifle was built to take to Alaska but even after sending in the paper work early it was declined by US ATF officers. I ended up borrowing a Ruger M77 338 of one of the guides and shot my moose with that and 230gr Winchester Fail safe bullets.
    I have shot a few reds back here in NZ and needless to say it is very efficient but probably more than is needed but it still a great caliber especially for the big nasties around the world. An interesting quote in A Squares book "Any shot you want" it says that the 250 grain 338 bullet has a sectional density through the roof at .313 and given bullets of similar construction will out penetrate almost anything including any 375 bullet.
    Unfortunately law prohibits its use on dangerous game in most African states were as the 375 is legal.
    Name:  P1020951.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  394.9 KBName:  P1020952.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  407.4 KBName:  50.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  253.2 KBName:  My Bull Moose Wood River Alaska 2002.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  496.7 KBName:  57.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  224.5 KB

The picture of the loaded round is a 230 gr Fail Safe the same as I used on my moose in Alaska, the mushroomed Fail Safe bullets were recovered from Pine stumps when testing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I have shot a few reds back here in NZ and needless to say it is very efficient but probably more than is needed...
    Only probably?
    LOC likes this.

Mooseman,
    Nice looking rifle and moose!

I see this is a dated thread, however, I have a Sako 75 stainless synthetic in .338 Win Mag. Just a 'fun-gun' at the moment, but I'll take it out for a deer hunt some time. Seems to have a sweet-spot with Hornady 225gr SST or Interbond at 2810fps (chronographed) and groups 20mm at 200m when I do my part. With a Limbsaver recoil pad, the .338 Win Mag is not as bad to shoot as some suggest. I don't find the 'felt recoil' to be that much more than a .3006 until you start getting up into the heavy projectiles such as the 285 grain Hornady ELD-M at 2475 fps. I have a suppressor which reduces the 'felt recoil' to less than that of my .308 but I generally don't bother to use the suppressor. Brass seems to last forever. The .338 calibre seems to be close to the largest practical calibre you can use with easily available (and reasonably priced) projectiles that have a good ballistic coefficient. In addition, with a good stock design and pad, the .338 Win Mag is easy to shoot without the need for a brake or suppressor.

Sounds like a nice rifle you have there Waimahana. I agree they aren't to bad to shoot until you get into the heavy loads. I have some Factory Lapua 250gr loaded rounds that clock 2700 fps, you fell those suckers after a few.
    The 225grbullets are much nicer to shoot. Have tried some 275 gr Speer semi round nose at a bit over 2400fps but still prefer the lighter rounds, I think if you want to shoot the heavy weights you need the 338 Rum or Edge.
    Yep get your rifle out on a deer or two there is one thing for certain none of the deer I have shot with mine have argued with it.