Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

The year's project idea

Am thinking of things to do this year, my current thinking is:
    Model 7
    17" - 20" barrel
    338 fed or if I couldn't find the right action, 308.
    Roedale can.
    Light weight stock

Has anyone had experience with the 338 fed in a model 7 ation? What is the overall length like? Can you still use 300gr SMK's if you wanted to?

Has anyone shot a bhort barreled 338fed? If so what speeds were/are you getting? Any load...

Cheers.

my old 338fed was 20 inches, shot 300smk's at 2050fps. I put it in a T3 action to get seating length, I think in a short action 3/4 of the bullet will be in the case.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Yeah na won't be using a t3 action. Will just go with a 308 if I figure the 338 isn't worth it on a short action. I'm not too worried about the SMK's but it would be nice.

Geez, that project sounds familiar

With a few improvements...

What Gavin Said.

Theres no way you'd get close to 80% case capacity in a mod7 with a smk. Gain 2oz in weight and go 700 short with a modified mag well. Youll probably get 200 fps more. Do it on a number 1 bbl and youll be the worlds biggest weight weenie!

Chris

Ejected
    Why not go full subsonic? It's pretty slow already...

Order the suppressor now, it might arrive by the time you have your rifle built.

Kimber do the montana in 338, might look into that.

Hillclimba apparently has a nice gunworks sup that is quite light which may go instead of the Roedale.

I have two model 7's and as crzyman points out the frustrating thing about them is that there is no way to go to an extended magazine (can't fit wyatt box as trigger group is too close to the rear of the magazine slot).

6.5 creedmore has a case that is 0.1 inches shorter than an 08 case but has about the same case capacity. This would be my choice for a model 7 build unless I was going with a wildcat.

Mag length is definitly the issue.

338 SAUM in a short action 700 with a custom box is what I will build one day... Light stock light profile 22" barrel.... or canned 20" if the recoil is over the top
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Have actually gone with a Weatherby Vanguard in 308 and am getting a Senator stock put on it as we speak. Will get it chopped right back and my current Gunworks suppressor put on for now. Maybe look at something lighter later. If the barrel contour is too heavy I will either flute it or re-barrel. Will be getting a new trigger at some stage too.

I did look at a 338 in the Kimber and both Hunting and Fishing and Outdoors Supplies could get me one with a 5 month wait, but I ran some numbers out to 500m from a 18" barrel and the 308 was a bit better for me. Actually as most know the 7mm08 with 162gr Amax's was best...