Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Ziess HD5 or.......

223nut and Shearer are right about the Bushnell line of scopes especially the 4200 and 3200 Elite series, not saying they are top of the line but they certainly work and are well priced. I see a lot of Vortex bashing also and once again they are good value for the money, the top models are as good if not better than a lot of Leupold models on the market.
    A lot of people get hung up on those extra few minutes of shooting time you are supposed to get from top European scopes but in reality there's not a lot in it.
    I remember looking through a Swarovski my mate had( I think it was a 2.5 x 10 it was a while back) right on dark and compared it with a 2x 7 Bushnell Trophy I had on my 7mm Mag way back then, I could define the same objects with both scopes so is it really worth the extra dollars? Some say yes I will stick to what I have even if it means walking away from a deer I can't see properly. If you are struggling to see an animal you shouldn't be shooting at it anyway.( ID Target !!!)

Ruling out the Zeiss. Just don't do it for me after some further testing.
    Would like a Viper HS, played with one today, nice eyebox and worked well. Unfortunately the shop wasn't the cheapest and I can get it for $150 less elsewhere, just not this weekend.

I'm not a big Leupold fan, found them "tunnelish" with a shit eyebox. Head had to be precise to be right.
    Weeeeeell I tried (at shops urging) one of the new VX3i 3.5-10 scope. Daaaaaamn.

Heading to Wanganui tomorrow for work, will have a look in the shops there - but will be buying a scope tomorrow.
    In shop, as I don't trust Saturday morning couriers ;-)

Thanks for everyone's input - I looked at scopes based on some of the suggestions you've all made - scopes I usually wouldn't think of. Thanks :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    Would like a Viper HS, played with one today, nice eyebox and worked well. Unfortunately the shop wasn't the cheapest and I can get it for $150 less elsewhere, just not this weekend.

I'm not a big Leupold fan, found them "tunnelish" with a shit eyebox. Head had to be precise to be right.
    Weeeeeell I tried (at shops urging) one of the new VX3i 3.5-10 scope. Daaaaaamn.

Heading to Wanganui tomorrow for work, will have a look in the shops there - but will be buying a scope tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input - I looked at scopes based on some of the suggestions you've all made - scopes I usually wouldn't think of. Thanks :-D
    Try the VX6. Way better eye box imo than the shitty vx3i.
    I've had the viper hs and at high magnification I thought them to be rubbish. Just try and look at a Z3 before either of the VX3i and Viper please...
    Happy buying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post

VX3i has poor field of view, limited elevation travel and true maggnification is 3.3x9.7

Reticle: Duplex
    Magnification: 3.3 – 9.7x
    Objective Clear Aperture (in. / mm) 1.6 / 40
    Linear Field of View (ft/100yds): 29.8 – 11.0
    Linear Field of View (m/100m): 9.9 – 3.7
    Length (in.): 12.6
    Adjustment Range: 52.0 MOA

This is the one Ill be buying. Better across the board apart from price.
    Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 G4 BDC #RZR-1565 - Vortex Optics - Scopes - Optics - Reloaders Supplies Ltd
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post

This is the one Ill be buying. Better across the board apart from price.
    Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 G4 BDC #RZR-1565 - Vortex Optics - Scopes - Optics - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

If Reloaders can guarantee that I'll receive the scope Saturday morning, I'd grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Try the VX6. Way better eye box imo than the shitty vx3i.
    I've had the viper hs and at high magnification I thought them to be rubbish. Just try and look at a Z3 before either of the VX3i and Viper please...
    Happy buying.

Agree, I have a Mk4 Leupold and a Vortex viper that both give quite bad tunnel vision, but have just picked up a VX6 3-18x44 and have used a mates VX6 2-16 and they are awesome!
    Real easy to get behind, never have to hunt for the right eye position, the field of view is amazing and doesn't have any tunnel vision feel at all.
    When comparing my 3-18x44 to my Vortex HST 4-16x44, when on the same magnification setting the Leupold FOV is noticeably better, not to mention glass is a heap better.
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Agree, I have a Mk4 Leupold and a Vortex viper that both give quite bad tunnel vision, but have just picked up a VX6 3-18x44 and have used a mates VX6 2-16 and they are awesome!
    Real easy to get behind, never have to hunt for the right eye position, the field of view is amazing and doesn't have any tunnel vision feel at all.
    When comparing my 3-18x44 to my Vortex HST 4-16x44, when on the same magnification setting the Leupold FOV is noticeably better, not to mention glass is a heap better.
    Thats about what you would expect comparing a $950 Viper HS to a VX 6 at more than twice the price.

Thats about what you would expect comparing a $950 Viper HS to a VX 6 at more than twice the price.
    Its a HST which is much the same as the PST. Which ain't much cheaper than the VX6.
    The VX6 is just designed and built well, with FOV being something they must've put a fair bit of effort into. Unlike my MK4 or the Vortex HST/PST.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Its a HST which is much the same as the PST. Which ain't much cheaper than the VX6.
    The VX6 is just designed and built well, with FOV being something they must've put a fair bit of effort into. Unlike my MK4 or the Vortex HST/PST.
    Yes agree the VX 6 is a better scope but you cant buy them for $1100 Like you can a HST. Can you buy a new VX6 3-18 for under 2K ?
    Broncos Outdoors - Hunting - Fishing - Camping - Aparrel

Yes agree the VX 6 is a better scope but you cant buy them for $1100 Like you can a HST. Can you buy a new VX6 3-18 for under 2K ?
    Broncos Outdoors - Hunting - Fishing - Camping - Aparrel
    No you can't but the op stated looking at HD5 so price is already at the $1400-$1800 sort of dollars. Also looking at 2-10 range so once again the VX6 is the scope possibly behind the Z3 to consider.
    The HST is far better than scopes I've used over years recently gone by but for the value and I recently paid $1400 the VX6 is a very good scope and definitely way better than a Viper.

BRADS likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No you can't but the op stated looking at HD5 so price is already at the $1400-$1800 sort of dollars. Also looking at 2-10 range so once again the VX6 is the scope possibly behind the Z3 to consider.
    The HST is far better than scopes I've used over years recently gone by but for the value and I recently paid $1400 the VX6 is a very good scope and definitely way better than a Viper.

Yes again, I agree the VX 6 Is a better scope for the OP.
    The point I was making is simply that the HST isnt in the same tier of scopes so comparing it to a VX 6 is not apples for apples. They are in a different price bracket so you would expect the VX 6 to be better.

The point I was making is simply that the HST isnt in the same tier of scopes so comparing it to a VX 6 is not apples for apples. They are in a different price bracket so you would expect the VX 6 to be better.
    And I obviously agree with you.
    Dan M

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Yeah I liked my Z3 - glass is great
    BT turret is good for dialling - I use that on my Z5

But the glass on the HST is the same as the PST which is similar price to VX6. You can get the VX6 under 2K, but only now due to it being replaced.

My initial comment was due to someone saying Leupolds have bad tunnel vision, and agreed that my Leupold MK4 wasn't great (along with my HST) but the VX6 was brilliant.

Back on track, not having used a Z3 or HD5 I can't comment on them.
    But the VX6 2-12 is a fantastic scope, the one I used had a firedot amd when used on 2X was extremely fast to pick up and could be used easy with both eyes open.
    Danny and Shearer like this.