Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By greghud
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 2 Post By Shearer

Thread: 17HMR vs 22mag in the wind

17HMR vs 22mag in the wind

testing the theory that a 22mag is better in the wind than a 17HMR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAsEimnr2eU

cheers
    Greg
    Bagheera, smidey and 223nut like this.

Good report...next test 7mm rem mag vs 300 win mag ...was reading somewhere that the 7mm has less drift because its a smaller diameter projectile , it would be interesting to see what that sauer 100 shoots like to , the 7mm one
    greghud likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Good report...next test 7mm rem mag vs 300 win mag ...was reading somewhere that the 7mm has less drift because its a smaller diameter projectile , it would be interesting to see what that sauer 100 shoots like to , the 7mm one
    I think it more comes down to the BC of the bullets, a 7mm 162 Amax with a bc of .625 pushed at 3050 is pretty hard to beat, from memory in 30 cal you need a 210gr bullet to get the same bc and i dont think the 300 win mag can push it fast enough to get the same benefit, and if you can the recoil will be dramatically more.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Awesome video, puts a few theories to bed
    The little pills are the best
    Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Nice video. So I imagine the 22LR is even worse than 22mag and subs would be terrible

I ran some numbers through the machine here are some 7 rem mag/300 win mag wind drift comparisons for you and a POI comparison.
    Name:  7 rem mag 139 gr sst.JPG
Views: 685
Size:  301.1 KBName:  7remmag 139gr sst.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  297.8 KBName:  300 win mag 165 gr sst.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  300.3 KBName:  7 win mag 150gr btsp.JPG
Views: 769
Size:  297.2 KBName:  POI 7 rem mag - 300 win mag.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  281.7 KB

looks good im just not sure what im looking at !!...aside from a 150gn 7mm rem has a better coef than 139gn & better than a 165gn sst 300wm...what does the graph represent ?...iv been on the speights followed by the woodys but I think iv got the jist I can only focus on 1 graph at a time its like being back a school but I think iv got it (top graph) at 500 yds the 7mm has a 45 inch drift in a 10 mph wind & the 300 wm is off the chart ? assuming the 300 is red ? or is it the other way round as even though the 300 gos off the chart when it does its on 32 ..conclusion I don't no how to read it or what poi stands for ?

Google Varmint Al's.
    Really good article there about the 17HMR and comparisons to 22WMR.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Can you run rimfire rounds through a ballistic program like shooter ?
    Do we know what the BC of those little bullets are and does the model hold up in that range ?

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Can you run rimfire rounds through a ballistic program like shooter ?
    Do we know what the BC of those little bullets are and does the model hold up in that range ?
    From memory the G1 bc of the 17g 17 hmr projectile is .123
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I suppose the big 22LR and 22mag bullets would fit G1 and the 17 would be like G7 ?

Ive got a special program for air rifle (chairgun) with dedicated bc for common pellets and it give me a "GA" bc of 0.0290 for the one I use.

Great vid, going to have to watch your other ones now!

looks good im just not sure what im looking at !!...aside from a 150gn 7mm rem has a better coef than 139gn & better than a 165gn sst 300wm...what does the graph represent ?...iv been on the speights followed by the woodys but I think iv got the jist I can only focus on 1 graph at a time its like being back a school but I think iv got it (top graph) at 500 yds the 7mm has a 45 inch drift in a 10 mph wind & the 300 wm is off the chart ? assuming the 300 is red ? or is it the other way round as even though the 300 gos off the chart when it does its on 32 ..conclusion I don't no how to read it or what poi stands for ?
    Hope your heads not too sore today.

Yep you figured out how to read the drift charts ok.

POI stands for point of impact or in other words the drop of the bullet over a given distance.
    only on that graph the colours correspond to the different cartridges check the bottom left hand corner for what colour matches which round.

Found it. Very interesting read. Especially about inherent accuracy.

Varmint Al's Field Testing The 17 HMR

This is an exert from it.

Originally posted on the Accurate Reloading Forum.
    Reproduced here with the author’s permission.
    by Alberta Canuck (2/17/07)

Let me start by saying I do not own or shoot a .17 HMR of any make or model, so I am not grinding ANY axe here.

Having said that I have an observation about the .17 HMR anyway.

For the past 5 years, our club has held a Rimfire match on the first Saturday of every month. For the first 3 years I was match director at every match, and have kept an eye on the matches since then.

The course of fire requires shooters to fire one shot at each of 30 or more small circular pasters (1/2" diameter) at ranges of 25 to 100 yards. Hitting the paster counts "10", missing counts "0". There is a dot in the dead center of each paster, but it is used only to break ties just like the "X" ring in a standard target.

These matches are open to ANY Rimfire rifle and ANY Rimfire cartridge, including the high dollar match rifles and/or large diameter Rimfire cartridges. They are fired from bench rest. No one has ever shot a .41 Rimfire in them, but there have been many .22 Mags used, as well as the whole gamut of .22 LR guns shooting $10-$12 per box ammo.

Until the advent of .17 HMR in these matches about 12-to-16 months ago, no one had EVER fired a perfect score in one of them, despite using Eley Gold and similar ammo in Anschutz M-1813, Winchester 52, Remington M37, BSA Mark V Martini, and other similar rifles.

Now that the .17 HMR cartridge is commonly in use, perfect scores are common at these matches, with about 75% of the shooters hitting ALL of the pasters in every match! Every match for the last 6 months has had to be decided by "X" count.

In fact, we are seeing the occasional match where scores such as 300-29 X are posted. It won't be long, I'm sure, until we will start seeing 300-30X scores.

And what are these shooters firing their super high scores through? Well, Marlins, Savages, some pretty ordinary, rather inexpensive rifles. That, we think, is great because it makes it much less of a high-dollar "spending game" and has people competing who never would before.

It has even gotten to the point where we are now setting up two classes in the matches:
    1) Any .17 HMR
    2) Any Other Rimfire.

Any of you sage rat shooters or informal field plinkers who have been wondering if the .17 HMRs are really that much more accurate than the .22 Rimfires might ponder that a bit.
    veitnamcam and smidey like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Personally I have found the hmr has taken the sporting element out of blasting pests, more like a mediocre computer game haha. Much more exciting to make a tough shot with a 22 sub than drill it with ease with the hmr haha

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.