Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2015 Aussie Trip

2015 Aussie Trip

Just booked my tickets to Darwin return for my annual cattle station cull hunt. I'll be taking along the trusty 300wm and the 375 H & H again so now the Aussie paperwork trail starts, this part will take a couple of months. Having done this many times it's pretty easy but time consuming. The easiest part is wandering down to the local cop shop and getting the AO to complete an import permit for me so I can get back in.
    7mmsaum, Munsey, Toby and 1 others like this.

Good luck. It is amazing the paperwork needed for rifles in Aussie, and all the states are different.

lucky bastard! Looked into going to Victoria last year for foxes, the paperwork, landowner permissions and travelling firearms security requirements made me give up we really are lucky here.

Awesome. Reduce the pig population at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    lucky bastard! Looked into going to Victoria last year for foxes, the paperwork, landowner permissions and travelling firearms security requirements made me give up we really are lucky here.
    We are lucky here, where I go really suits an AR 10 with a couple of 20 round mags but alas there pollys have dealt that a blow. They don't even allow shotguns with more than 5 rounds.

There's 9 pages of police paperwork, you must have tickets booked and they only issue a visitors license as per your air tickets, they issue you with the important B709 to enable you to get thru Aussie Customs then it can be a knob ache getting back out if you strike the wrong person. But once thru customs it's a piece of piss, no one looks twice at you walking down the main street of Katherine lugging your gear around in 40 deg heat.
    JRW87 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Awesome. Reduce the pig population at the same time?
    There will be plenty of that going on, thermal gear is brilliant.

yes my country is very effed up in this department successive governments blame the tools and not the perpetrator

shit you kill someone and your unlucky if you get more than 13 years but use a firearm and get 20 25 and don't get

me started on them big bad scary suppressors you get in more trouble caught with one of them than a handgun ?

Been away in Europe for a couple weeks, got back early this morning. After opening the backlog of mail (most were bills) I came across an official Aussie letter, NT Police had posted my visitors License and B709 so all set to go in 2 weeks.
    stug likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Been away in Europe for a couple weeks, got back early this morning. After opening the backlog of mail (most were bills) I came across an official Aussie letter, NT Police had posted my visitors License and B709 so all set to go in 2 weeks.
    We'll have a catch up before you launch eh ?

B

Quote Originally Posted by deye223 View Post
    yes my country is very effed up in this department successive governments blame the tools and not the perpetrator

shit you kill someone and your unlucky if you get more than 13 years but use a firearm and get 20 25 and don't get

me started on them big bad scary suppressors you get in more trouble caught with one of them than a handgun ?
    It strikes me that it gun control has had very little effect on gun crime in Australia either. There always seems to be a weekly, if not nightly shooting in the western suburbs of Sydney, typically involving gang disputes. A real shame that so many licenced folk are disadvantaged by so few, whether they be criminals or politicians.
    veitnamcam and deye223 like this.

Draconian control only affects those who are already licenced and law abiding.

Enjoy your hunt 300winmag.

Does Australia have public land that Aussies and foreign hunters can hunt on?
    Or is all land privately owned/public land that can't be hunted?

Therefor, do you need a private block and landowners permission to get all the permits and papers or can a Kiwi be able to go hunt on public land?

The suppressor thing is a funny one.
    The US also hates suppressors and causes you to jump through a few hoops and pay money to get one. Yet can more or less own anything else under the sun unrestricted.

Then you get the UK, which is very restricted on gun ownership, but they almost prefer guns to be suppressed.
    From what little I know, Australia seems to hate everything, then NZ apart from if you want an endorsement guns and a licence are pretty easy to obtain.

I can't answer all your questions but each State will have different rules/regulations. Best bet is to log on to a States Police website, it's easy.

As for the NT - I have to apply for a "International Visitors Permit" (License) which is only valid for my time in Aussie, with it you get issued the Aust Customs B709 which enables you to bring in your rifle and ammo in/out.

I shoot on private land and in the application there is a section for my outfitter to complete.

My understanding is that if you are visiting and wish to hunt public/private land with mates legally you would need to be registered/licensed in that State (living there)

There are a few aussie members on here that could let you know the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Does Australia have public land that Aussies and foreign hunters can hunt on?
    Or is all land privately owned/public land that can't be hunted?

Therefor, do you need a private block and landowners permission to get all the permits and papers or can a Kiwi be able to go hunt on public land?
    i'm in Victoria we have hunting in our state forests for anything that's feral and deer and also deer in some national parks