Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 15 Post By piwakawaka
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: best suprise

best suprise

Was told last week that i had to take my dad out for fathers day to slay some goats at a spot north of auckland which my mate gav has access to that has hundreds of stinkies. Later found out he was running a marathon on saturday so saturday evening rolls around and i ring him "coming hunting?" 'what time?' '0515' 'nah, next time'
    Up early sunday feed up and gear up. Gav arrives at my house on time (happy with that, last time i was waiting half an hour before ringing him and the fucker was still in bed!) we sort a plan. firstly check up on a bunch of food scraps and goat carcasses he had dumped near where we knew there was pigs but had never seen them to check if anything was feeding up making an easy target. Get to the spot and ride the quad over close to the bait and stalk in. Nothing. Well the day before i had gone to guncity sales and bought a new pair of binos and a new scope which was boresighted but not zerod so i had left it in the van and we had taken gavs .308 and new toy a 16" rossi .44 mag lever action so i pull out my binos and scan around and see 3 animal shapes about 400m away so focus a bit, ones white and 2 are brown, the white one lifts its head from the grass and holy fuck its a big fallow stag! (or buck, take your pick) my heart starts racing "shit bro theres a fuckin stag!" we didnt even know there were deer in the area and had hunted it a fair but never seeing any deer sign. I watch them for a bit and realise its not one but all 3 are stags maaaan we were pumped. we started the stalk and since we had gavs guns he took the scoped .308 and i had the .44 with open sights i had never used before so i wouldnt be shooting anything unless it was right i front of me. for the first hundred metres of the stalk we were mostly in the open trying to hide behind dead bushed and a pair of parries started there early warning bullshit right above us (note to self, kill these bastards next year) after that we hit the bushline and spend the next half hour dropping down into a valley and going back the other side spooking another deer in the bush on the way. when we reach the top we hit a fence and jump it so now were in the same paddock we first saw them. slowly creep up and see nothing. i focus and scan and then see 1 antler in the grass only 50-60m ahead of us. get gavs attention and tell him what i see. the plan is i stalk the right close to the fenceline and i shoot the furthest right animal and he stalks to my left 10m and shoots the furthest left animal. we stalk up over the last ridge and all i can see is bush i turn and see gav lift his rifle BOOM i run up a bit closer to him and see 1 stag standing staring at him 20m away he reloads and fires again and it drops. i see the other 2 running off to my left but gav was standing there to didnt attempt to shoot past him. WOOHOO he had hit one of the brown ones so we gutted it and i chucked it on my back (its been ages since ive carried a whole deer so was keen as) carried it to the quad and cleaned the mud off the antlers. it was a 13 pointer with 2 broken off tines at the bottom of one antler and a big chunk of one of the palms broken off so looked like he has been scrapping big time. big scars on his neck and a few scars on his ass as well. took it back to the house and hung it up then zerod my rifle. gav had brought a keg of craft beer (worst shit on the planet) that had gone off so we set that up and shot it with the .44 hoping for a big explosion but no luck it just made 2 big holes and beer shot out about 3m each direction. Zero'd my rifle and headed back out to bowl some stinkies. wasnt long before we found a bunch so gave 2 of them a lead sandwich at 165m and 185m (got a rangefinder a while ago and have been ranging everything haha) then took them to turn into something edible. Also saw a pig in the distance later in the day not 500m from where the stags had been. Awesome day out and awesome to know there is deer in the area for next time. hopefully can get back out there and get myself one before there antlers drop!
    Didnt get very good photos of the beast this is probably the best one.............oh and the deer is in the pic too
    Name:  21392699_10156423846111729_1979970309_o.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  166.2 KB Name:  IMG_1438_LI.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  1.13 MB
    Last edited by piwakawaka; 09-09-2017 at 11:40 AM.

awesome!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Great write up lad Well done on the hunt.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Deadly there fantail

A good day out, thanks 4 sharing

Well written and obviously a good day out meatwise. Did you salvage any goat,, its well worth it.

Cheers team hard to put these storys into writing. Yea marty brought home the goats. Waste not want not and the freezer was looking low. Wanting to make something other then curry out of the goat meat anyone got any ideas?

Do a roast leg or shoulder, mince some and make homemade hamburger patties or a meatloaf. Pretty much anything you can do with other meats you can do with goat. Billy however is an acquired taste.
    veitnamcam and Sideshow like this.

Sweet cheers man will try out the roast leg/shoulder next time i bowl one. Haha ill take your word for that

When i shoot goats to eat i normaly bone out the whole side for a rolled roast make your own stuffing they turn out awesome old billys are for dog food

so you had a great day out,got some venison and learnt one of lifes hard lessons...ALWAYS sight in rifle BEFORE setting off for a hunt.lol you will be prepared next time Im sure.

Had to laugh when you started mentioning that beer keg.....I thought here we go!
    nice to see you had a top day out.
    Thanks for sharing.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Cracker day on the hill, and a nice buck for your efforts well done.