Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To catch a hare

sturg4

To catch a hare

Name:  2012-07-21-1310-57.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  804.5 KBName:  2012-07-21-1312-49.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  647.8 KB

Caretaker
    Priceless.
    Having eaten my fair share of Hare backsteaks I can say it really is poor mans venison. And a lovely animal to watch going about its dailys.
    What area of Ngamatea was used? I have found warratahs and totara posts in some very weird places there.

sturg4
    Hi "7mm' I am sorry that the Article never came up as neat as I wanted but I couldnt fix it. I doubt if I could find the area now its all in grass. A lot of the totara posts and strange shaped waratahs came from a rabbit proof fence put through that country in the early days. You can trace it back through the Otupaes and into the Ruahines.

Caretaker
    The rabbit fence is running east to west above and behind the otarua and west of poverty creek, its nearly complete in parts but is leaning over a bit, rust is dissolving it though. I found the warratahs and other posts in some really out of the way places.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I caught a full grown hare once by hand and its probably the ownly one I will ever catch without a weopon.That Mangohane Station is beautiful.Catch the odd leveret while haymaking thou

Cheers, enjoyed that.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Cheers, enjoyed that.
    You know what 'sneeze' when our parents told us to get a haircut and get a proper job they knew what they were talking about.

A great number of mad schemes I was involved with and I am left still waiting for the payday.

The old parents knew a thing or two, hopefully it's passed on as Im rapidly becomming one.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

You gotta laugh alright.I have done the fencing on mangaohane since john N and graeme S finished.
    Graeme and his brother still come and hunt mangaohane a couple of times a year and usually stay at the old but comfy Smythes hut.
    Its always great to call in and have cuppa or beer and listen to the stories when going past on the way to and from the fence lines.
    John N's ashes are spread under a totora by the hut with a poem done on a plaque in the hut in remeberance.
    The lads make sure they get their fill of venison for the trip home to last till the next trip
    That high country is some of the most beautiful places that i have worked with some fencing been done at 3800 feet it is good summer work,
    The good news is we are heading out there this spring to build a set of sattelite yards so looking forward to a bit of 6.5 carnage after hours
    As a by line there are still a lot of hares out the back which we use for a bit of long range verification!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    You gotta laugh alright.I have done the fencing on mangaohane since john N and graeme S finished.
    Graeme and his brother still come and hunt mangaohane a couple of times a year and usually stay at the old but comfy Smythes hut.
    Its always great to call in and have cuppa or beer and listen to the stories when going past on the way to and from the fence lines.
    John N's ashes are spread under a totora by the hut with a poem done on a plaque in the hut in remeberance.
    The lads make sure they get their fill of venison for the trip home to last till the next trip
    That high country is some of the most beautiful places that i have worked with some fencing been done at 3800 feet it is good summer work,
    The good news is we are heading out there this spring to build a set of sattelite yards so looking forward to a bit of 6.5 carnage after hours
    As a by line there are still a lot of hares out the back which we use for a bit of long range verification!
    Amazes me just how many people I know on this forum 'andy'

We will be back down in that country again when the snow has flown. Come up and see us and we will throw up a tent and have a session with a few yarns and all.... I am always looking for Barry Crump type characters for my new book.

Yep all good,supposed to be heading up there in the last couple of weeks with my mate who owns the land over the fence. but get in touch when coming down and will come out for the night and we can tell some lies as old fences tend to do!
    Did you know wayne n that used to shoot for len?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Amazes me just how many people I know on this forum 'andy'

We will be back down in that country again when the snow has flown. Come up and see us and we will throw up a tent and have a session with a few yarns and all.... I am always looking for Barry Crump type characters for my new book.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

sturg4
    Yes I used to know Wayne N quite well...I wonder if that is his son in the olympic team.