Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: A cautionary tale

Don't all 406MHz PLBs have a GPS chip, from which your approximate location is encoded?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Don't all 406MHz PLBs have a GPS chip, from which your approximate location is encoded?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily, I'm not sure if they have been phased out in favour of GPS now though.
    We used to have a mixture of both on various jobs.

Yes it was gps hardcoded the unit was only 2 years old & just to confirm the location they traced my cell phone as well. The problem I believe was someone was probably ment to manually push a button or pic up a phone upon receiving the alert from the plb ...from what I can gather this didn't happen until I rung 111 .

Good tale, certainly could have been alot worse if your head smacked the rocks. Hope the recovery is going well .
    I guess sometimes we all get complacent and learn lessons the hard way.
    Pixie Z likes this.

@Timmay That's great. The reason I put this message up was to highlight the importance of preparedness, in particular how necessary it is to carry a PLB. So even if only one person who reads this was motivated enough by my story to buy a PLB then I can consider this thread a success. & to know that other people are at least thinking more seriously about their approach to short, casual day hunts means that I've achieved what I wanted. I hope you never have to use your PLB, but I'm glad to know that if you ever were to get into trouble in the future, that you'll now be able to call for assistance.
    Timmay and Beaker like this.

Could have sworn it was this thread thst had the best price for plb but cant ssem to see it

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Could have sworn it was this thread thst had the best price for plb but cant ssem to see it
    @CooeeyBay usually has the best deals, I have one of these: KTi Safety Alert SA2NZ 406MHz PLB Beacon - SkippersMate

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    @CooeeyBay usually has the best deals, I have one of these: KTi Safety Alert SA2NZ 406MHz PLB Beacon - SkippersMate
    That link wont let me change address to nz for billing! Will call them in the mornimg
    CooeeBay likes this.

Thanks for sharing Pixie, i always take my PLB even on short one-dayers, saw a Westpac heli rescue and the person involved had left his at home as he was 'only going for a day hike'

another hiker used his to get help, ive carried mine ever since when i go out!!!!! into the wild that is.....
    Beaker and Pixie Z like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Thanks for sharing Pixie, i always take my PLB even on short one-dayers, saw a Westpac heli rescue and the person involved had left his at home as he was 'only going for a day hike'

another hiker used his to get help, ive carried mine ever since when i go out!!!!! into the wild that is.....
    Do they work in Auckland CBD?

On a serious note though, bloody good reminder - no use if left at home.
    Hope your on the mend too Pixie.
    Pixie Z likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Just ordered mine!
    Wont leave home without it from here on in.

Anyone found a good belt pouch to suit the KTi unit?

HNTMAD - ever thought of doing a leather belt pouch for the KTi unit, may be with a Mercerator knife slot at well??
    CooeeBay, Pixie Z and 223nut like this.

Just ordered off skippers mate, had to go through the phone as internet checkout didnt seem to work, no problems once that was sorted

I keep mine in the car when not on my belt. Plenty of black spots around the country where you cant get cell coverage, so it may come in handy.
    It may not be yourself that is in a spot. Plenty of opportunity to come across others in trouble on our remote roads
    gadgetman, mikee and Pixie Z like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

A good bad story Alex. Being a bit buggered even before I set out for a wander I decided to get a PLB a while back too. I could see myself doing exactly as you did and getting myself back through pure pig headed stubbornness. But the PLB is there for if that option fails.
    260hunter and Pixie Z like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    That would have been frustrating but at least a good out come and relief for those monitoring your trip.

I was referring to a PLB rather than personal trackers.
    Trackers have their own set of idiosyncrasies.
    I don't believe they operate on the 406 MHz system, in short I don't think they are necessarily considered a PLB.
    @CooeeBay ?
    @Moutere They are not considered PLBs (Personal Locator Beacons) A PLB is designed and has to meet two AU/NZ standards at least. 1. Transmit continuously for a min of 24 hours once activated no matter what stage of the battery life and 2. have the ability to float unaided. That's why in AU/NZ the rescueME and ACR resqlink have a pouch attached to it. Not for good looks but to make sure it floats. Cut it off and to the bottom it goes.

They all operate on the FREE 406MHz COMPAS-SARSAT global satellite network - now in upgrade progress status. Satellite ground station in our region monitor their transmission whereas the tracker goes back to the USA. There are now agreements in place for Au/NZ rescue services to assist.