Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Cold night Chamois hunt

Cold night Chamois hunt

A couple of years or so back I promised a couple of brothers a chamois hunt. Finally got a time that suited us all and we shot into the hills for an overnighter. Walked in and set up camp on Saturday avo, nicely set under a frozen waterfall!

We'd set up the tents with plans to wander up the creek for a look before it got dark. I literally turned around and saw the familiar silhouette without leaving camp! We were all stoked to see a chamois this early in the hunt.

Climbed out of the creek and into another valley and soon saw a trio of Chamois just below us on some bluffs, Watched them for a while before leaving them to it.

That night it was bloody freezing, I don't know if Pip was keeping me warm or it was the other way around. It'd be one of the coldest nights I've spent on the hill...woke to have ice on top of my sleeping bag inside my tent! Once the day started breaking I was out of there and jumping around trying to warm up my limbs! ;D

We headed back to where we'd been the day before and started looking from our vantage point. From here we spotted a couple of deer and a pair of chamois on the opposite side of the valley.

Pippas nose is pretty good at indicating whether its worth glassing or not in certain watersheds She was winding really well on these chamois when we were still 5-600m away from them. We snuck in and got a few photos and some video before moving on.

After a bit of a trek back to pack up our camp, we climbed over the ridge into another creek and bumped into some fresh sign in the snow. Following that we came across a couple more Chamois chilling out below us.

Its always a risk taking someone you don't know really well into an area that holds a few animals that you've worked hard to find...so I made particular effort to emphasize the importance of looking after spots like this.

These boys were a pleasure to hunt with, they showed great respect for the hills and excellent sportsmanship, and weren't interested in shooting a chamois for the sake of it, so none were harmed on this trip. They were ever so thankful for me for taking them there. Mid-avo we called it a day and headed back to the truck and were home by dark.

Cheers
    Josh
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Choice. Yep had the same on a solo chamois trip few weeks ago, first time I have had a iced up sleeping bag inside a tent!

I reckon it is great to see animals in the hills even if photos are the only shots fired. Good on ya Josh C
    JoshC, BRADS, Scouser and 2 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Brilliant Josh. Thanks.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nice pics, nice country, thanks for sharing

Nice! Cheers for sharing

Great pics Josh. I guess you're a trophy hunter otherwise one would have been good for the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by johnino View Post
    Great pics Josh. I guess you're a trophy hunter otherwise one would have been good for the freezer.
    I don't eat them mate, so don't see them as a meat animal. I will only shoot one if it will be bigger than previous ones. In a way I suppose you'd call it trophy hunting, but I generally go hunting chamois without thinking I'm going to shoot one. I didn't actually take a rifle on this trip either.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I don't eat them mate, so don't see them as a meat animal. I will only shoot one if it will be bigger than previous ones. In a way I suppose you'd call it trophy hunting, but I generally go hunting chamois without thinking I'm going to shoot one. I didn't actually take a rifle on this trip either.
    Iv seen a few Cham over the years and never shot one, for all I know I could have walked past a 14 inch buck.

Its probably a hangover from my fathers training who considered them just goats.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Its probably a hangover from my fathers training who considered them just goats.
    Essentially they are VC, them and Tahr.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Essentially they are VC, them and Tahr.
    yes but since discovering hunting forums I am developing some respect for them.

Put it this way, these days if i saw one I would at least look at its horns.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah I'm with you VC, I've seen a few Cham while tramping and meat hunting, mostly around the Southern Kahurangi Park, Arthur Range, but never have been tempted to shoot one. Now I've got a few mates into hunting I'm tempted to head to a decent spot just to bag one. A couple of mates even paid $1000 for chopper trips just to bag their first Cham.

Great photo's by the way, I hate getting my sleeping bag icy, but usually take my old synthetic if I'm not staying in huts.
    kokako likes this.

I always enjoy reading your write-ups JoshC. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesika View Post
    I always enjoy reading your write-ups JoshC. Thanks for posting.
    +1 they are always a bloody good read with cool pics
    Nibblet likes this.