Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 12 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By HNTMAD

Thread: Daughters first plus one for me

Daughters first plus one for me

Well with the school holiday in full swing it was time for a trip to my cousin’s farm in Wairoa, It had been 2 years since visiting and all of us (me and the kids) were pretty excited to get there. At the farm we had the chance to shoot goats and also the odd deer. On the way up I got a text to say my Cuzzy was off to the Dr as he had hurt is back, so all of a sudden I became his go to man with all the lifting stuff and try and take as much off him as possible so that his back could get better before we left and also so he could come for a hunt with us lol. The day we arrived and the next was shearing, with lots of sheep in the shed cos it rained, out as the sun was out and back in as rain again threatened, bull mustering, bull weighing and drenching, burying dead sheep with tractor etc, but most of all I found some time to take my daughter (8) for her first goat. I will let the vid do the talking. This is unedited as it happened, a 125m steep downhill shot. Steph had been doing some practice at the range for this trip and did really well, sorry for the coaching but this is how I have found it best to help coach new hunters for their first animals, just reinforces things picked up at the range. Even though over the last 3 years I have helped 16 new hunters to their first animals through the mentoring I do at school when it is your daughter it is totally different, way more fun

https://youtu.be/PLodVdVrdEA

So day 3 was a sleep in ish, take some kids and get the heifers in, drench, take back, more sheep work then home for lunch, as it was so hot we went in to town to my aunties for a swim, after dinner Alex (my boy), Cuzzy and myself went for a walk, Got to our look out and sat for 20-30 mins waiting for the deer to come out of his bush block to the nice grass, nothing so we decided to jump the fence and head to the top cnr of the bush block that had a nice big grass clearing, on the way we stopped to have a look at a face well below the bush block unseen from first look out, Up with the bino and 1,2,3……..9,10,11 deer spotted out feeding, damn not enough time to put a move on them, as the crow flies they were 1.3km away, and if anyone knows Wairoa hill country they know that’s not easy, so we moved on, another 5 were seen and un hurt in the neighbours. Poor old Alex had hoped to shoot his second deer on this trip.

That night over a shandy or 2 it was decided I would get up earlier than my Cuzzy (4.45am) in the hope of a head start before he started mustering near where the 11 deer were seen, I headed off in their direction as night turned to day, Off the quad and a quick 10 min walk to a lookout point, Quick glass and I pick up 8 deer slowly making their way back to the bush, I am setting up as a hind jumps the fence to know speed is necessary if I want to shoot one of the deer, At 350m being the closest I can get I pick out a smaller animal (not a big hind or fawn) and decide she is the one as she doesn’t appear to have a fawn in toe. I set up waiting for her to move or the other deer behind her to move so that once the Berger is sent from the .284 there is no way other deer can get hurt with flying shrapnel etc. The shot is taken and what happens next is something I haven’t seen and will stay with me for a while. All of a sudden there is a clatter of hooves and the 8 deer I had been looking at morphs into 25+ and due to the supressed shot and not knowing where it is coming from start running towards me, They ran until about 150m and then dive over a bank, and fence and head to the safety of the bush. No battery in camera so couldn’t catch it.

Ok so I go over to retrieve the deer and sort it out. So happy to have the first of 2016 on the deck. Well I look at my watch and it is only 6.30. Off home we go and due to the heat of the day fast approaching set about skinning and boning the deer out and it is all done and dusted including burying the carcass by 10.30.

Any way a couple of pics for you.

Hot
    Name:  hot.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  678.8 KB

Steph
    Name:  P1050102.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  1.16 MB

Me and Steph
    Name:  P1050103.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  1.08 MB

On the neighbours (trust me i wanted to shoot it, estimated at 35 inches)
    Name:  big goat.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  847.7 KB

My first for the year
    Name:  P1050107.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  1.10 MB

Cheers Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good stuff Hamish.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nice. Who was the other girl giggling in the background... Sounded similar to when the 11 went down!

;-)

Awesome shooting Stephanie!
    Shootm likes this.

Do you have a Visla? Are they good for finding but not getting in too close? How easy to train etc. Will need a new dog soon and would like one I can take bush with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Do you have a Visla? Are they good for finding but not getting in too close? How easy to train etc. Will need a new dog soon and would like one I can take bush with me.
    Yes i have a Vizsla, her name is Fern, she is 2, I have used her for the last 12+ moths but mainly slip and longer range hunting, When i go to find the deer shot i will try and get up wind in most cases, I have tried to avoid a find command as i want to be able to see her at all times so we semi stalk into them, I have done little bush hunting with her but as i got her for this reason i will be getting into it more this year, On the times out she has indicated deer but i just have no been able to finish for her.

If i were to do it again i would prob go for a heading dog, i think they mature quicker really.

Hamish
    Steve123 likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Nice. Who was the other girl giggling in the background... Sounded similar to when the 11 went down!

;-)

Awesome shooting Stephanie!
    yup mate, same girl gigling as in when 11pt went down lol

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Most excellent
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

super !

Nice!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Well done Hamish. Good stuff.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

ebf
    Awesome shooting Steph, and well done dad
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute