Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 16 Post By greghud
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 3 Post By greghud

Thread: Day hunt with some of the local lads.

Day hunt with some of the local lads.

had a trip organised with a few lads, heading up to skippers canyon on a balloted block.

the target for today was goats, with good numbers reported. red deer and chamois being a remote possibility.
    we headed up early, with the drive in being a big eye opener.

there is sections of the road that has hundreds of meters of shear drop off the side. no guard rails, muddy, single lane dirt track, made to supply the mining community back in the 1890's.
    if your driving there, take your time and use good mud terrain tyres on a high clearance 4wd. you will be fine.

the mining community, of course is long gone but a lot of the old buildings still remain and are well kept and open to the public.

I am constantly amazed that there is buildings and structures all over New Zealand open and accessed by the public and they are well kept, and treated with respect.
    I am sure the same buildings, huts, camp sites and monuments would, unfortunately have long been destroyed by some drongo back in Australia.

we drove in and no sooner had we arrived Ryan yelled "there's a goat!"
    "that's no goat." I replied as I quickly thumbed a round into the Ruger.
    he ran up and away from us on a section of rocky and grass covered hill and just before cresting the hill and disappearing, he made the mistake of turning for a look back.
    I don't get many opportunity's like that and I took full advantage. as I took a sight picture he seemed a good representative Chamois.

approximately 9 inches, not going to win many awards, but a nice cape and a line on the bucket list ticked. fortunately he fell in a spot that made recovery possible and we were able to recover him whole.

that spurred the boys into action and a few headed into the valley as I tidied up the chamois. most of the party pushed their way up and picked up a number of goats.

I moved in behind them and ascended the southern hill where I came across a mob of four goats who moved down the hillside in front of me and settled down to feeding and enjoying the warm sun.

I sat and watched them for over an hour as I knew two of the hunting party were behind me and were coming my way, it would give them an opportunity to shoot a goat and I could enjoy the show.

you are about to have a very bad day.......

Lance moved into position above them and then descended onto their position.

I didn't even need to back him up as he took all four goats with four shots.

we gutted them and decided to make our way back to the car for lunch and a drink.

lunch bbq, was a nice spread of wild pork sausages and goat back steaks

after a late lunch we moved onto some open country and spotted a large billy perched on a rock face a 465 yards.

with every one watching, I dialled the Nightforce scope up and sent a 165 grain Accubond his way with fatal consequences.

the stunned silence as the billy dropped stone dead off the rock, told me that the boys probably had not seen much long range shooting before. never the less I was a little chuffed.

we headed out and hit the bitumen, the sore legs, feet and muscles didn't seem as sore as we drove home and had a good laugh recalling the days events. a good supply of goat meat, with the billies used for dog tucker and a Chamois, that I couldn't have shared with a better bunch of blokes. What a great day!

I got the cape off and I will send the head in to get a shoulder mount done, I am sure there's a spot I can stick it.

Blacks would be proud, I hope!

I am looking forward to trying the back steaks tonight for dinner. Chamois is reported to be very nice!

Greg
    puku, jakewire, P38 and 13 others like this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Well done on the Chamois. Awesome scenery you've got down there too.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Great pics, and great trip by the sounds of it.

:-). Nothing like a boys trip!

R93
    Chamois is good grazing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    hunting cham is the pinnacle of our hunting spread
    Addicted to gun powder

I find chamois reasonably rank eating... Interested to see what you think of it
    veitnamcam likes this.

I have always said, fallow is the best, but now I am a convert!

seasoned with salt and pepper

butter, medium high heat.

it was only thin and it could have been off the heat a little earlier, but still fantastic!

greg
    veitnamcam, R93 and Scouser like this.

Awesome write up greg.
    Good country in there for a trip too
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Great result and great trip looking at the photos, thanks for sharing!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Cool story bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk