Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: Don't Sneeze @ Snee Rd

Get some fat red stags before the roar but the fattest wild animal I've seen was a female chamois.

Yesterday morning. First blood for the 300saum. Neck shot. 400 yards.

Not raising a fawn so she was as fat as butter.

Name:  P1000636.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  1.15 MB
    Wildman, 7mmsaum, Shootm and 4 others like this.

She was a big girl...

Name:  P1000644.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  1.09 MB
    7mmsaum, outdoorlad and Dreamer like this.

I should qualify "neck shot". She was facing down hill and head on to, me and I aimed for the front edge of her withers. So the hit in her neck was about 6" low, which wasn't too bad because it was a bit of a rush as she was moving off the clearing.

Are you SHURE that's snee road Tahr those pics look different bush to other snee road pic,s starting to wonder if your telling porkie pies Mr...nice shot by the way.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Are you SHURE that's snee road Tahr those pics look different bush to other snee road pic,s starting to wonder if your telling porkie pies Mr...nice shot by the way.
    There are many Snee Roads.
    Munsey likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    There are many Snee Roads.
    I know of three Snee roads, they are about 100km apart
    Tahr likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Nice job and a heap of good steaks for sure. Any sign of the big Red stag should be well stripped by now?
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Nice job and a heap of good steaks for sure. Any sign of the big Red stag should be well stripped by now?
    He seems to have disappeared, like they often do after they have stripped. Likely moved into the heavier trees for the roar. Crossing my fingers he turns up after the roar.

Yeah, there was a lot of meat on that hind and I had to lug it a reasonable distance.
    I shot her from next to the bottom of the three cabbage trees. Pic taken from the opposite face where the deer was and I had to cart the meat back the way I had come and over the top for a while.

Name:  P1000639.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  1,003.8 KB

You can see her in this pic after I shot her.

Name:  P1000629.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  1,022.4 KB
    Wildman and MrSly like this.

Awesome, some good chewing there and thanks for posting up!!
    7mmsaum and Tahr like this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

It will taste all the better for the effort you put in, nice spot your hunting ideal for LR work. We have the same problems with the stags moving to different areas for the roar. There is a nice long 8 pointer we found last year and we have just picked him up in another block so hopefully he will be there for the roar, he is still only 8 but real long, there is a nice 10 we watched on the cameras for awhile but he has vanished a the moment so hope he turns up soon as well. Good luck for the roar.
    Tahr likes this.

Its going to be interesting over the next couple of weeks I have my spots my mate has his he often see,s stags I don't 0 infact over the last few months similar areas but he,s more open country im mostly odd clearing ,bush hunting he has no wallows I have hinds fawns & wallows but no stags... very shortly before they start roaring the stags will turn up its going to be really interesting I no my spots well generally to within 50 or 100 meters of zones beds , feed areas kind of all the same but its really neat il be looking for those big marks from now on its been a while since I have seen some timber moving amongst the trees already getting excited
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Its going to be interesting over the next couple of weeks I have my spots my mate has his he often see,s stags I don't 0 infact over the last few months similar areas but he,s more open country im mostly odd clearing ,bush hunting he has no wallows I have hinds fawns & wallows but no stags... very shortly before they start roaring the stags will turn up its going to be really interesting I no my spots well generally to within 50 or 100 meters of zones beds , feed areas kind of all the same but its really neat il be looking for those big marks from now on its been a while since I have seen some timber moving amongst the trees already getting excited
    Good luck and safe hunting. Sounds like you have done your home work.

Are you happy with the conversion, I guess this was the Sako 270 wsm now a 300 saum?

Nice knife you got there Tahr
    Tahr likes this.