Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By Norway
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By Norway

Thread: Film: Red hind hunting

Film: Red hind hunting

For the very first time I visited the west coast of Scotland for red deer hunting. Feels a little odd to be out with a guide, but those are the rules and anyway it was a good experience and my leash got looser as we went.

kawhia, Pengy, TimeRider and 5 others like this.

Amazing scenery Norway. Do you not like the ammo in the stock pouch solutions?

Cool video @Norway. Thanks for sharing.
    I am told that my ancestors come from that area. It apparently makes Fiordland look inviting once the summer mozzies arrive.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Neat looking country, nice shooting.
    Norway likes this.

Driven Wild Boar Bullet Pouch | Fine Shooting Accessories
    Norway
    Try this? For your ammo solution
    Norway likes this.

In reality how many spare rounds do you need on hand other than what's in the mag? for deer stalking i'm talking here
    veitnamcam likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Nice. That dog is beautiful too. Guessing a lab?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Great hunt in some nice looking country. Four shots for four deer pretty nice shooting.

Great video. A bit bigger than your usual deer. Couldn't just drag them along to the Argo! :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Do you not like the ammo in the stock pouch solutions?
    No I find that it disburbs my shooting position too much. In a later episode I push the correct button on the close camera and you'll see how I work when reloading:
    I reach forward with my right hand and the rifle stays in the shoulder, eyes darting between the deer and the ammunition. So I need to put my ammunition almost up by the right bipod leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Cool video @NorwayIt apparently makes Fiordland look inviting once the summer mozzies arrive.
    I'm not sure there is anything harder than Fiordlands for hunting, but yes the midges are HOR-RI-BLE. Big numbers, very aggressive, invades eyes, ears, nose, mouth and are small enough to zip through an ordinary mosquito net and avoid a slap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Driven Wild Boar Bullet Pouch | Fine Shooting Accessories
    Norway
    Try this? For your ammo solution
    That was a very beautiful leather carrier, but very much outside my budget. I was gifted something similar from Rigby, superb leather quality, but I am afraid to take it outside as I appreciate the craftsmanship too much to actually use it. Opposite story of the handmade leather belt I was gifted in NZ in 2008 - also superb leather quality and I've used/maintained it for 8 years now and love it. You catch a glimpse of it at time 1:32 in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    In reality how many spare rounds do you need on hand other than what's in the mag? for deer stalking i'm talking here
    If I could have 6 extra I think I would be well covered. That would make a total of 10 rounds and I don't think I'll shoot more than 8 in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Nice. That dog is beautiful too. Guessing a lab?
    Yes, he is a bastard half lab. Cannot remember the other half, but he had a noticably "springier" gait than a lab, more like a birddog.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Great video. A bit bigger than your usual deer. Couldn't just drag them along to the Argo! :-).
    Ah I made the mistake of dropping 6 deer outside Argo reach on the last day. It wasn't too long a drag to get them somewhere accessible, but with my weak hand it takes forever and it was still pretty dark by the time I was in the car...

I probably have enough material for 5 more films, will put them in as I find time. Christmas nightmare around the corner, so don't hold your breath...
    Gibo likes this.

Looking forward to them

+1 to that

Scotlands westcoast is awesome I was lucky to spend 3 seasons up and down the coast shearing, often we would see deer on the way to work or setting up the trailers those wee roe deer pop up all over the show hedge rows , long grass im also told there are sika in some areas as well...how much does it cost to shoot a hind Norway ?
    Cheers.