Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: First time hunting Sika

Quote Originally Posted by Remington700.270 View Post
    Hahaaa, that is called boredom and extra camoflage!
    And there was me expecting something really deep and profound about being given the flower for luck by someone close to you
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Bloody good read thanks Remmy
    Remington700.270 likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

looks like you had a good trip

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes View Post
    looks like you had a good trip
    I had a great time thank-you. I guess it is hard hunting compared to private land but that made it more fun.
    veitnamcam and falconhell like this.

Great read . I've only shot a few sika but none that looked as skinny as that hind maybe she was sick?

Quote Originally Posted by petree View Post
    Great read . I've only shot a few sika but none that looked as skinny as that hind maybe she was sick?
    Yeah I have since found out that she was and has been sick for some time. Her membrane's and bones had a grey tinge which is the result of an over active immune system trying unsuccessfully to heal the animal. I threw out all the meat today.

Awesome bit of hunting there. Got me eager for the weekend which is only a very short stint of hunting compared to what you did. Shame about the meat, but at least you didn't eat it and find out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Awesome bit of hunting there. Got me eager for the weekend which is only a very short stint of hunting compared to what you did. Shame about the meat, but at least you didn't eat it and find out the hard way.
    I hope you get some good weather mate. I already want to get out hunting again

Quote Originally Posted by petree View Post
    Great write up mate, so thanks for sharing. My first kill was a Sika stag up Tree Trunk Gorge. When butchering him, I thought something must be wrong as he was too skinny and was missing hair in places. An autopsy found a shrivelled liver, so clearly facial eczema was on top of him. I took his jaw and had Alan Jackson age him, at 14years! No wonder he had no antlers... I had figured he was a spiker

I lost a good stag a few years prior off Kaweka Road. After shooting him on dusk and on the run at 30metres with a 180gn .308, I just couldn't believe he didn't flinch and kept running! Next morning my mate and I found a light blood trail and spent three hours working over the area with ever increasing circles trying to find him, to no avail. At the time I decided I must have only scratched him (although I never really accepted that, as I have always been an excellent shot even under pressure) and the wound was superficial. After hearing many stories since about Sika running long distances in spite of highly traumatic wounds to the hilar zone, I'm now convinced we should have kept searching until we did find him, as I'm confident I actually got him. Disappointing to say the least
    Getting a Viszla is high on my priority list for this year
    Pengy likes this.

Awesome trip and great report. My favourite trips are solo trips.

The Sika stag looked in great condition; the hind was a bit manky.

Go the .270!

Nice trip, thanks for sharing

Red
    EPIC! that sounded like a trip worth the effort and planning you went through thanks for sharing

Now that you have completed your trip and had time to reflect, it would be interesting for you to go back through your gear list and all of the suggestions, and hear what was useful, what you would leave behind and what you would take extra next time.

Cheers
    veitnamcam, SIKAHUNTER and Toby like this.

Big thumbs up from me Rem, out there and doing it, the only way to really learn is by getting out and taking the good with the bad, well done mate, and a great honest report....cheers
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I was really happy with everything I took apart from the tin foil, extra clothes and I would have used a meat safe of my own.