Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Got the bastard!

Got the bastard!

Had been chasing this pig for a while now, half a year or so. Have seen him multiple times getting the slip on the dogs, ran straight past me twice with the dogs trailing a little while behind to no success.(looked to be 120ish) Had been back to his possy a couple weeks in a row, struck him but hes been to clever and fast for the dogs.

**this was pre christmas then i moved to the king country from the bay of islands just after new years**

**Got married end of feb and honeymoon started, went back up north for a couple days to see all the family again before they flew back overseas etc.**

The dogs hadnt been out in 2-3weeks and i wanted to go back to see if this pig was still around. Snuck out of bed from the wife early hours of the morning and packed the ute. Myself, two mates and the dogs were off. Walking up this big face were i thought he might be camped up in the sun, stopped for a breather listening waiting for the dogs up above us in some native. Big crash thru a fence and thru devil weed and cutty grass heading straight to the bottom, i knew it was him. Dogs not far behind i was hopefully but not certain they would pull him up as the werent really fit. 6,7,800m the dogs were moving and so was the pig. 1.1kms away then they had turned around and back to 600m. "We lost him" i was thinking. Grabbed some jerky outve my pouch to lift my spirits. Then all of a sudden heard the dogs break into a steady bail 1 dog, then 2dogs. We were off! It was a steep hill and i left the boys behind haha i need this pig! Got there 15mins later and put a 20g slug straight into him. Cheehoo! Never seen a pig so fat from this place! And he went 165lbs, wrapped! Dogs provided the goods, couple battle wounds but they were sweet. Back at the ute by 8.30. Success!

Name:  IMG_0399.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  1.00 MB
    Name:  IMG_0408.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  1.01 MB
    P38, 7mmsaum, Shootm and 22 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    well done, always a sweet taste when the dogs do their job well.
    XBoltstalker likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Great job.
    XBoltstalker likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Good hooks too,great when a plan comes together
    XBoltstalker likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Mean mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    XBoltstalker likes this.
    Dan M

awesome good hooks
    XBoltstalker likes this.

Good write up, was right behind you, well done!
    Gibo and XBoltstalker like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nice one!
    XBoltstalker likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Bloody fantastic.
    XBoltstalker likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nice hog
    XBoltstalker likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nice boar cheers
    XBoltstalker likes this.

Great result, well done
    XBoltstalker likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

good stuff getting straight there and poking a slug into him....... far better than the dogs getting into a scrap and getting badly hurt.
    XBoltstalker likes this.

I was there with you bro until I got to the devil weed is that the same as the west coast thunder or something else ? , nice boar . I had a nemesis for 3 years & I never caught him last encounter I thought iv got you u old c%#t , huge mark 200+ best 3 dogs bailing he did his thing & I no as id hit him3 times same place, which was all up hill gets to the top but this time i had the 3030 on full cock , dogs bailing stench of some ancient native boar in the air 5 meters away in a patch of gorse was so excited I lost a new swanny tied round my waist on the way , waiting waiting then the wind changed just like that...gone ! i never got on to him again but the storys were pretty cool or not depending on which side of the fence you where on I think the winners where the vets ! most don't understand how clever those pigs can get ..truly believe they are smarter then a old red & they are clever but a hunting man with his finest dogs vs a crusty boar in his own country ...who wins , faark cast my mind back to how many times my dogs have hit good pigs only to grab a sucker or porker as the boar has run through a mob of sows , let alone how many times they got beat up..never underestimate how clever they are , my one grip when it comes to pig hunting would be the hunter/ stalker coming apon a good boar & shooting it used to drive balmy listing to storys of stalkers going for a shot & shooting a pig 180lb + boar... Good luck , keep us posted

A weed up north, not too sure how to describe it but pheseant quite like it. Yeah pigs are very clever and cunning animals, and the bigger ones dont get big because theyre dumb. Quite often theyll run thru a mob of pigs or get out faster than the other pigs. This block oftened produced nice 120lb boars with really good hooks. Not alot caught over that size so was wrapped when we put him over the scales! Only other pig caught up there bigger was one the old man caught about 15years ago and he went 181lbs. Definately hard to get bigger pigs up there as there isnt as much country compared to the central Ni or SI and alotve hunters around too.