Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: The Great NZHS take a kid hunting comp

AB Precision
    Not a lot of activity over the holidays? Bit disappointing, work shouldn't be a excuse that's what days off are for. Few days with the kids I thought few would have been added over the brake?

Comp might be going for awhile cam

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    Not a lot of activity over the holidays? Bit disappointing, work shouldn't be a excuse that's what days off are for. Few days with the kids I thought few would have been added over the brake?

Days off are great if you are an employee but as the employer and you have staff take sick days and work needing to be finished to pay the rent guess who makes up the slack... Haven't had a weeknd free of work for a few months now

Getting sick of one particular working timing his sick days when we can't be a man down.... He doesn't know whats booked in but if there is a day we are going to be running that is when he doesn't turn up. Just about time to look for another worker.... need to be able to have someone I can leave and still have the work get done, 2009/10 new year brake is the last time I had more than 2 days off

My critters will be out soon enough but I see we missed out in the fallow ballet again this year

Be a good possum bomb up as soon as its dry enough to get the quads up the tracks safely and not have the possums landing in water so they pluck easy.

Sons sports might put him out for the next hunt but the daughter has mid week sports now and she missed the last hunt so she is keen to hit the bush...
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post

Hmmm yea thought there might have been a bit more goin on. Mine have been crook over the holidays, real fun not.
    Was going to take them on a goat hunt last sun but was a no go with owner. This weekend hopefully.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

This has been posted on another forum:

The two girls in our house are away for the week, so what else were we supposed to do...

We headed up a track on a local forestry/bush block after a man sized dinner of four sausages each, me and my 6 year old son James followed by the Vizsla Eva.

We had not been going too far when I saw the flick of an ear through the binos and identified a sleeping hind then another hind lower down on a grass clearing under some pines. I ranged them at 220 yards, however it would have been a difficult shot up hill shot with only the heads and necks really showing.
    We walked a bit further up the track and glassed the clearing again, at 280 yards, but could not see them, at that stage I received some advice on when I should have shot the deer!
    We pushed on further, slightly above the clearing and could see one of the deer quite clearly, back at a range of 200 yards.

Whist I took this photo I received some more solid advice on the best time to shoot a deer!
    I lay the Remington 600 Mohawk over my back pack and sent a .243 SST on the way. I could tell by the sound and the reaction that she was hit.
    We scooted over to the clearing where there was masses of blood and James made a good job or tracking it with help form Eva. 60m or so later Eva found the hind stone dead with a very big entrance hole and no exit hole. The blood trail was probably one of the heaviest I have ever seen.
    We took some photos.

Then I told James I'd better butcher it for the carry back to the truck.
    Pass me the knife..!!!

This was the young fullas first successful hunt with me and he didn't get to bed to ten to ten; if you know his mum don't tell her!!
    Grim, sneeze, tui_man2 and 3 others like this.

Finally got the time and the access for a goat hunt today. Weather is shit but was going anyway then was told by both kids "dont want to go hunting" as they have a birthday party to go to.

Got back from the range this afternoon and asked again who wants to go hunting and the boy was keen so we were off.
    Drove up to spot x and walked the last 500meters or so up the track till we had a view of the face where goats usually hang out.
    The boy was doing really well at being quiet and we parked up in the drissel and waited for the fog to lift a bit.
    It didnt take long for it to lift enough to reveal some goats 300y distant and Xavier saw them in the binos too
    Instructed to sit on my left slightly behind me with his hands over his ears the 308 barked twice and a billy and nanny fell.
    Heading up to recover them.

He did pretty well climbing up for a short 4 year old even if he did have to get in 4wd lowbox most of the way
    We found the Billy first.

And I left him there while I went to get the Nanny as it was to steep for a 4y old and kept yelling out to him as I was out of sight just to make sure he was OK and he was
    the Billy/Nanny and Xavier

We gutted the nanny and showd all the important bits then I gave it the big round house throw out and down the hill towards the track. In 2020 hind sight this may have been a mistake as now Xavier was scared to walk back down but was fine going up.
    Never mind with Dad holding his hand and a couple of lift downs he was fine. Back on the track he was back to his usual self chatting away non stop.
    Grim, sneeze, tui_man2 and 5 others like this.

Back up there today with both Paige and Xavier this time and a mates son(rob) who I take hunting a bit.
    Spyed a big billy and a pregnant nanny across the gully on the drive up and left them undisturbed in case I needed a back up plan.
    On the walk up the last bit I could smell shit and looked at my boy and it was running down his pants
    Great wondered why he was a bit subdued this morning.
    Spyed some cautious goats right up high no doubt due to yesterdays effort.
    I planned a stalk for Rob and gave him some strict instructions on handling my Sako and sent him up the hill while me and the kids walked back to the cruiser to change Xavier into his spare pants and undies.
    We drove back up to where I had sent young Rob on his mission and watched his progress threw the binos.

I noticed a few goats above the spot he was sopost to sidle across to the target goats and as he got below them he did too.
    I had already told him to approach from above and he headed up towards them spooking the whole group(good lesson there) they were long gone but he kept heading up so I risked a yell "To your fucking right" with a outstretched arm signal
    Then he continued the planed stalk on the other goats which were now intently focused on me and my vehicle.....perfect.
    It was great to watch him get to about 40y slightly above them and spot them I wish he had tried to find some sort of rest but he pulled of a funny looking(threw the binos) neck shot on a Nanny.
    I watched him drag it for a bit then the boy had shit himself again and I had to deal with that. When I next spotted him there was no goat. I yelled out "wheres the goat??" and got a "cant here you" reply................ bulshit I could here him plain as day.
    So when he got back down to me I asked where the goat was and he said he lost it when it rolled down.........I smelt a rat.
    I said " One of us is going back up there to get that goat and if it ends up being me it will be a long time before I take you hunting again!" so off he went.
    I accept that culling Goats or anything for that matter they are left but this is my mates place and its a favor to take newbeis up for a hunt. Also trying to instill some respect for the animal (why shoot it if your not going to use it)

He found it with relative ease and started dragging it.....I yelled out to roll it down in front of him and in no time he was at the bottom.

By now the boy had shit himself again and spewed all over himself his car seat and the back of my seat. Poor little bugger.
    on the way back down I pointed out a white fallow doe and 5 commons over the other side of the farm. They are not shot on this property and its a good thing as its the only safe haven for the remains of the herd my father released 30 odd years ago on a nebouring property.
    Back at my place he wasn't to keen on putting the goat on his back or the foot board of his scooter but a reassuring story from me about two full crates myself and a girl on my scooter years ago and we soon had it secured with a roll of insulation tape
    Grim, Tim and 260hunter like this.

Right everyone. I expect everyone who has repled to this thread to post here or in the magasein section about taking a kid for a hunt.

MAKE THE TIME

YOU HAVE TILL THE END OF THE MONTH!

AB Precision
    Good 'shit' cam

Not so flash for Xavier tho

End of this month? I should have one more in me then
    +1 for making the time, working is not really a excuse for not spending time with the family an kids, an giving them the experance of taking them out. so get the A in G

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    This has been posted on another forum:

The two girls in our house are away for the week, so what else were we supposed to do...

We headed up a track on a local forestry/bush block after a man sized dinner of four sausages each, me and my 6 year old son James followed by the Vizsla Eva.

We had not been going too far when I saw the flick of an ear through the binos and identified a sleeping hind then another hind lower down on a grass clearing under some pines. I ranged them at 220 yards, however it would have been a difficult shot up hill shot with only the heads and necks really showing.
    We walked a bit further up the track and glassed the clearing again, at 280 yards, but could not see them, at that stage I received some advice on when I should have shot the deer!
    We pushed on further, slightly above the clearing and could see one of the deer quite clearly, back at a range of 200 yards.

Whist I took this photo I received some more solid advice on the best time to shoot a deer!
    I lay the Remington 600 Mohawk over my back pack and sent a .243 SST on the way. I could tell by the sound and the reaction that she was hit.
    We scooted over to the clearing where there was masses of blood and James made a good job or tracking it with help form Eva. 60m or so later Eva found the hind stone dead with a very big entrance hole and no exit hole. The blood trail was probably one of the heaviest I have ever seen.
    We took some photos.

Then I told James I'd better butcher it for the carry back to the truck.
    Pass me the knife..!!!

This was the young fullas first successful hunt with me and he didn't get to bed to ten to ten; if you know his mum don't tell her!!
    Mint trip there the young fella would have loved every minute an even got the hands on in there

He will remember that for time to come, untill next time haha

some great trips with the kids had by the looks, Great to see

Another month for me to take the kids out (weekend of the 8th or 15th set aside) ... or at least the daughter will be coming as the son still has sports for a few more weeks after that... If it dries up we will do a possum hunt before then though as the coats will be nice and plump for plucking
    . Have a party hunt before then but taking newbees out with me and to many people to be risking taking the kids....
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Am I allowed to contribute to the prize pool ? Have a Quakhead Timber Pipe by RNT calls I'd like to throw in.
    I'm sure there are some young guys that are into duck shooting.
    veitnamcam likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Am I allowed to contribute to the prize pool ? Have a Quakhead Timber Pipe by RNT calls I'd like to throw in.
    I'm sure there are some young guys that are into duck shooting.

That would be awesome Chris. I am sure it will be a welcome and well used prize. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    That would be awesome Chris. I am sure it will be a welcome and well used prize. Cheers.
    Cool ,if 1 of the caretaker/moderators please pm me an address will flick that in post in due course .So its there when comp closes off

R93
    Id would take it but I am only home once a month for a short time.