Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hunting with the boy

Hunting with the boy

I had a deal with my son when he was about 2 years old, when he grew as tall as my armpit he could come deer hunting with me, being a tall fella myself I thought he would be 10 or so before he fitted the bill.

He obviously took that deal on board and ate all his veges and has reached that lofty height at age 7!!

Fair enough I says so we went for a local hunt. After a 40 min walk or so we heard a stag roar along the face we were on so put in the stalk, it was the first stag he had heard roaring so his eyes were like dinnerplates!, when we got in a bit closer it clammed up, we crossed down into the gully and across a swamp and started up the other side seeing a bit of deer sign as we went along. Partway up the next face the stag where we had come from started up again so we devised a plan to circle back around the gully head and try to get above him as the wind was likely to shift. We kept going up the steep face and I promised Jack a breather on the next highpoint which looked down a forestry road.

When we got there I fished around in the bag for a muesli bar and handed to Jack, He wandered around eating it while I tried to find one for me. Jack started whispering at me and I wondered what the hell he was on about and thought he was saying "Here here", transpires he had spotted a hind and yearling down the track and was whispering "deer deer"!

Holy shit, good boy. I hit the deck and Jack dived in behind me covering his ears, sure enough two deer standing in the shadows on a corner of the road, not that easy to see so I was pretty impressed with my little hunter. As I looked through the scope I reminded myself to take my time and hit the bloody thing!!

At the shot at about 100yds I lost sight picture but I neednt have worried as my little hunter was spotting the shot and declared that I had hit it, the yearling did not hang around.

We went down and it had just flopped into the grass at the side of the road, narrowly avoiding rolling down the steep hill- bonus!!

We had a butchery and anatomy lesson, he was most impressed with the voice box and windpipe.

Jacks Hind- good spotting son!!
    Name:  Jacks Hind.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  99.4 KB

Jack loaded up the daypack and carried that out with the rifle. I showed him how to make a pack and then carried the hind out.

Photo makes her look bony but she is in great nick.

To say I was a very proud dad would be an understatement
    Philipo, sneeze, Wildman and 11 others like this.

good job young fell on out spotting dad .well done to bth of you.

Great spotting Jack. The pressure will on for a shot now.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Tim
    Nice
    Getting older is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional.

Good stuff mate. Always great to see kids out in the bush instead of inside on the Playstation
    Pointer likes this.

Nice one Steve, love the take a kid hunting threads
    Need to find a easy spot for my boy but a we while off yet he is only up to my waist
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker
    Nice one Steve, Jack will remember you taking him there for the rest of his life, being a Dad has to be the best job in the world !!!

awesome. I've started taking my 13yr old. Got him a JW-15 in Spring and we go out for bunnies. Now he's come on a goat hunt and this weekend we're going for Wallabies.

Very cool
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Shot mate . Best memories from my childhood are the old man taking me out for a deer or pig. Very cool.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Wish my oldman was a hunter and we could've done that.
    Good stuff fullas.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Cheers fellas, While skinning it out on Saturday I found the Barnes TSX bullet. This is only the second I have recovered in 6 years of shooting Barnes and the first recovered from an animal (the other went through the shoulders of a fallow stag then about 14 inches into a dirt bank and still retained 120grains!!)

This bullet entered the brisket as the hind was facing us, it travelled the length of her internally wiping out lungs and missing the gutbag coming to rest against the skin just forward of the back leg.

Name:  P1020726 (Large).JPG
Views: 308
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  P1020727 (Large).JPG
Views: 297
Size:  97.1 KB

Yesterday I took Jack out to do some target shooting with the brno .22. this was his first time shooting with a scope- he loved it and did some great shooting, I do need to get a spare stock for the brno and shorten for him though.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Must be a Buzz, you'll be especially pleased it all went well for his first time.

What a perfect sounding shot. It's awesome that he gets to keep the bullet as a momento. Solid copper huh? That's interesting.

Your kid is lucky his old man is into hunting. It'd make it a lot easier to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Must be a Buzz, you'll be especially pleased it all went well for his first time.
    Hell yes, I would not have lived down a miss, he's a competitive little bugger lol