Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By thejavelin
  • 3 Post By ANTSMAN

Thread: JW103 - another big goat down

JW103 - another big goat down

Out early for a goat hunt on Saturday morning - we have access into a private bush block that has a bit of grass on some flats that works its way into native.
    Making our way up the middle of the valley we spied some goats - sneaked up the side of the ridge and both JW's opened up and we had about 7-8 goats on the deck.
    Recovered the back wheels off the eaters and hid them in the shade.
    We made our way up the main ridge - checking each siding for more, but nothing to be seen, just far too hot.
    Along the main ridge the clearings eventually give way into a small block of pine inter-dispersed with native, we were just making our way through when I heard a strange semi grunting noise at fairly regular intervals.
    I mentioned this to my hunting partner and we split up by about 20mtrs and started sneaking forward. I paused in a clearing section and through the native spied a head/neck, waited for what seemed an eternity to allow a bit more sight picture and boom.
    9.40am she was on the deck - hard slog back to the car, but back at the farm by lunch, for a feed and wee siesta.
    This JW103 is really becoming quite favourity - I'm really enjoying a shorter lighter gun in the bush, fast pointing and easy carry - yet the round still has good knockdown and much cheaper to run than my .308.
    Being king of all things quality - I chuckle at a sub $400 gun running cheap steel cased ammo still bringing home a feed
    Name:  20160220_093902.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  268.6 KB

good work
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

I betcha the deer didn't know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. I just bedded mine, can't wait tot find out how she goes this weekend...

"I just bedded mine".... you humped your rifle????
    Steve123, Manu and BLABLANZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    "I just bedded mine".... you humped your rifle????
    Seduced it

CraigC, How did the weekend go? Did you manage to bowl any deer or was it only goats?
    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Nice. I just bedded mine, can't wait tot find out how she goes this weekend...

Hey Mauser. Sounds like a great investment. I have just purchased a Jw103 myself. I chopped it down, and got a silencer fitted. Then had to spend about an hour smoothing out the mag so the ammo fed properly into the breach. I haven't had it out yet to sight in the scope. When I reassembled it after the barrel threading, I found 2 washers left. Buggered if I can see where they go. Also noticed that the barrel is free floating - didn't notice that when I degreaser it from new. Any thoughts on anything else I should do before committing to an outdoors romp with it?

Quote Originally Posted by misha2001 View Post
    Hey Mauser. Sounds like a great investment. I have just purchased a Jw103 myself. I chopped it down, and got a silencer fitted. Then had to spend about an hour smoothing out the mag so the ammo fed properly into the breach. I haven't had it out yet to sight in the scope. When I reassembled it after the barrel threading, I found 2 washers left. Buggered if I can see where they go. Also noticed that the barrel is free floating - didn't notice that when I degreaser it from new. Any thoughts on anything else I should do before committing to an outdoors romp with it?
    @misha2001 Betchya those washers are used as spacers underneath the trigger guard - I had a random couple in mine also.....
    I had massive issues with getting mine to feed nicely - there is a thread around with everyone trying to help me out - eventually found the issues by colouring the bolt lugs and most of the rear of the bolt in with black vivid and working the action - soon found the bright spots that were snagging. Filed and stones those spots and its acceptable/smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by thejavelin View Post
    @misha2001 Betchya those washers are used as spacers underneath the trigger guard - I had a random couple in mine also.....
    I had massive issues with getting mine to feed nicely - there is a thread around with everyone trying to help me out - eventually found the issues by colouring the bolt lugs and most of the rear of the bolt in with black vivid and working the action - soon found the bright spots that were snagging. Filed and stones those spots and its acceptable/smoother.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ht-bolt-22257/

Actually, the bolt ain't too bad out of the box. Once I reshaped and filed down the mag top lips, the bolt slid quite freely (for a new rifle of Chinese build). I will do the black marker trick to see if there are any super tight bits to be smoothed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Nah - it's never going to be a beauty queen. If the barrel is free-floating and it groups OK no problem, but if you find things have gone to the pack you can try putting a pressure point of a bit of cork or similar non-melting material just back from the end of the stock. Experiment with different locations and pressures if it shows an improvement...
    Thanks for that. Yep, it does look a bit industrial, but I am not an appearance queen. As long as it does what I want when I want, that'll do me. The little Jw105 I got (also new) has loosened up nicely after a few hundred rounds through it, so I am hoping the 105 will do the same.

Now... Where did I put my range key?????

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Well done working well for you.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind