Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Might be getting the hang of this

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Might be getting the hang of this

I've never been much of a winter hunter nor have I been much of a bush ninja but, against my expectations the day dawned a cracker so the boss was told she's on kid duty today, I was off bush.
    I had hoped to get out for a look with @The Claw on Saturday while he was up North, but some things just didn't work and I had to postpone. Sorry Sam.
    It wasn't the earliest start either with me making it to the carpark at around 10AM. A quick up and down over the creek had me into the thick of it, mostly being Contorta pines and Manuka. Shitty stuff with no nutritional value at all. Finding some native would up my chances for sure. I knew of a patch I had been through years ago and I hoped it was still there. Pushing through for a half hour had me into some nice Beach and as hoped the sign began to also show up. It just had all the things that said deer. After about 10 minutes of tip toeing around I saw a jap hind not 30m away and she had also noticed me. Fortunately the wind had not given the game away so a quick shot was made and my confidence was high with a well placed shot through the neck. To my surprise a second deer shot into view and was also given a dose through the shoulders. The Blaser is a marvellous rifle for this type of thing. Quick shooting and points like a shotgun. I have recently chopped a few inches off and it's only made it better.
    My poor Cactus Miklat had its work cut out but I was able to push two butchered deer into it.
    So after a few successful bush hunts in the winter I'm thinking I'm getting the hang of this up close stuff. Pretty exciting too.

@Tahr. Finally got to use the Fox River. Good little knife and the 3V steel certainly made light work of two deer even at my rather slow pace.
    sneeze, Norway, Wildman and 21 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

KJ, nice work!

That must be the fanciest 'bush pig' ever. :-)
    kiwijames and JoshC like this.

You know you are a hunter not just a shooter when you can get onto em in the bush
    kiwijames, GWH, BushHunter and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Holy Shit! 2 blind, retarded deer in one spot😆 who would have thought.

Good stuff mate. They look to have full paunches as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Good shit. Why is your riflestock painted brown?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Holy Shit! 2 blind, retarded deer in one spot who would have thought.

Good stuff mate. They look to have full paunches as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    It's the breeding program here
    They were in very good nick considering the time of year.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Good shit. Why is your riflestock painted brown?
    It was an upgrade offered for the original Offroad stock. It's plastic still but has a walnut finish. A lot like the photographic hydro coatings you can get now
    JoshC likes this.

Good skills. Yeah, they are great knives, eh.

Nice mate. Nicest LEFT HAND bush pig ever
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

What scope are you running on it?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

R93
    Love the chiller door latch I spose you can expect nothing less from refrigeration bloke.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Well done KJ, the only part i had a wee chuckle about was the bit where you "Told the boss she was on kid duty" are you sure thats the way it went LOL

Well done on that, they hard suckers to get in the bush!!

Hamish
    kiwijames likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Well done KJ, the only part i had a wee chuckle about was the bit where you "Told the boss she was on kid duty" are you sure thats the way it went LOL

Well done on that, they hard suckers to get in the bush!!

Hamish
    You gotta talk it up aye
    HNTMAD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    What scope are you running on it?
    Zeiss Diavari 3-9x44 with the Zeiss integral rail mount. Don't think they make them anymore. Really nice glass.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Love the chiller door latch I spose you can expect nothing less from refrigeration bloke.
    It's magnetic but I run a heater in it for the beer at times and it doesn't close properly with the cord in it. Smartass