Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: My Apprentice Hunter

My Apprentice Hunter

Yesterday mum needed some time to herself to finish off an assignment for her post grad studies, so being a nice day, Lachie and I decided we'd go on a bit of an adventure to kill the afternoon.

We geared up and headed up the hill in the truck, only to get to our hunting spot to find it was spitting rain and windy as. There was still a fair bit of snow around which kept the air temp low. We had a banana and a milk and contemplated what we were going to do. The weather started to clear so we thought, bugger it, and got organised. We'd done a fair bit of pre-training over the last couple of months, so it was time to put what we'd learnt into practice.

A quick wander down into a sheltered gully where we thought animals might like to be tucked away from the wind, and we were soon looking for deer. Nothing seen, and Pip showed no interest so we moved on. This happened a few times until finally Pip started winding and sure enough through my binos I spotted a couple of deer bedded down in the scrub.

The stalk was on, Pip went into sneak mode and Lach thought this was pretty funny, giggling away in the back pack constantly. No amount of "shoosh mans" could keep him quiet. We stopped to put his earmuffs on, I hoped they would shut him up, but alas, he just laughed louder!

Anyway, the wind in our face proved to be steady enough to allow us to sneak within 80yds of the deer and pick one of the tastiest ones out to take home with us. As I lined up on the deer, Lach was wriggling from side to side, trying to get a look at the four deer looking at us, I'll blame him for the first shot miss as I squeezed off on a high neck shot. A quick reload and the deer cartwheeled with a base of the neck shot before it'd taken three steps.

We clambered through the bush lawyer filled gully and made our way up to the deer. A quick photo session - I've learnt babies don't have a hell of a lot of patience for that type of carry on, then a butchering session where we got blood all over ourselves, and we loaded up for the carry out. We discovered that Macpac baby carriers have plenty of space for back-steaks and a couple of boned out hindquarters! Bonus.

Both dog and Lachie snored their heads off all the way home, and thankfully Mum was finished her assignment when we got back because I needed a beer and a sit down - next time we'll try to find one closer to the truck ;D

Cheers
    Josh
    puku, Norway, Wildman and 68 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Wicked! That last pic is simply awesome
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

What model macpac have you got?

Mate that is gold, bloody good stuff, just wait til they are asking to shoot, fun times ahead
    Josh

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    What model macpac have you got?
    Dunno, it's a big one. A mate gave it to us.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Nice! Starting them young

Great looking dog. You look significantly happier than your avatar suggests!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Great looking dog.
    Cheers, she's coming up 7 1/2, starting to show her age a little bit. Bloody great with the young fella though.

Beautiful. As good as it gets.
    Being a Dad is quite different to just being a Father.

That black and white pic is priceless. I bet your parents spent a fortune on your teeth at the orthodontist.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Beautiful. As good as it gets.
    Being a Dad is quite different to just being a Father.

That black and white pic is priceless. I bet your parents spent a fortune on your teeth at the orthodontist.
    Yep loving every day with him, we are very lucky.

Hahahaha, not really, dentist was free while I was at school and these days I only go every 2nd year for a good polish up.

northdude
    That was cool

What a great story.
    Pity my grandies are in Perth - they'd love to do something like this.
    But - they'd be that busy asking questions, the deer would go into hiding - or get earmuffs.
    Would need to borrow some pig dog collars to find out where they'd gone

😁brilliant!

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

That last photo says it all super

Having children has taught me patience as they have comprehension of the situation
    I can see why photographers say not to work with children or (live) animals
    puku and JoshC like this.

That is really special! i hope to have similar experiences in the future.
    JoshC likes this.