Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By scottrods
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: New Knife

New Knife

The recent visit of my son Deereman from Canada was great. After they had unpacked he gave me a knife. The knife was made buy a good friend Bruce, in Canada, from old saw blades from the mill. After doing all the heat treating, cutting, grinding, and polishing a neat 4 inch bladed knife emerged.
    As it arrived it was very sharp but I gave it a touch up on the oil stone then a bit of a steel up and it turned it into a razor.
    The true test would be on an animal so this weekend I hoped I could find a stag to try it out on. The morning hunt only resulted in a average sized pig racing across the road never to be seen again.
    We checked the cameras, on one camera was a nice 10 pointer with well developed velvet showing up, one to keep an eye out for once hardened off. Around 2.00pm we headed back up bush and set up a camera in one of our old spots in a block that had recently been thinned, deer tracking was already back in the block so we cut a good track to the area the camera was set up in and hope now the deer will use it and keep it opened up...time will tell.
    We checked another block which had been good a while back but went sour with next to no sign so it was pleasing to see sign coming back... another spot to keep an eye on.
    About 6.30pm my brother-in law dropped me off on a road so I could follow it up to a face with a clearing then traverse a ridge before dropping back down on another side road that usually had sign on it.
    The clearing turned nothing up , bit of sign but nothing real fresh. The ridge track we had cut a year or so earlier was similar until I got to the turn off point where a beaten trail headed down to the skid site.
    I carefully sneaked down until I could see bits of the skid. I picked up a ginger shape that looed like a deer and checked it out, at first it was hard to tell as there was a lot of pine branches in the way, I waited watching through the scope, sure enough I spotted a velvet antler move as the stag feed.
    It took a while to find a gap through the trees before I could take the shot. At the shot ( about 50 yards) the stag took off out of my sight, I moved down towards the skid and picked up the stag looking pretty sick still about 60 yards away, another shot with a 180 gr BT dropped him. On closer inspection my first shot must have hit a branch as I gut shot him with the bullet coming out low in the chest. I think he was ready to fall but I wasn't taking the chance of him getting away.
    So I had my deer to test the new knife, excellent I thought. Gutting was no problem bit messy after being hit with a 300 Win Mag I also removed all the internal organs.
    My brother in law at the time of my shots was onto a mob of pigs not to far from me but he said the pigs weren't to worried and disappeared quite slowly.
    Back at home we cut the arse hole out, windpipe, and took all the hocks off then removed the head.
    The new knife held up well and I think I could have dealt to another with out a sharpen, the next test will be skinning an animal but so far more than happy with it.Name:  P1020917.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  967.5 KBName:  Matahina Stag with 300 Win.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  983.1 KB

Try a leather strop on it, you'll find it really will be sharp
    Great story.
    TianBotha likes this.

Great result mate, what wood are the knife scales made from?
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Scottrods if I can find a leather strop I will give it a go and Scouser I am not sure what wood it is but it may be one of the Canadian pines, these being hard woods like our native trees over here.
    Scouser likes this.