Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick bow hunt

Quick bow hunt

Went out for a quick stroll this morning, after a very earlier wake up from my mate we were off in the dark, heading to a spot not to far away. Neither of us have managed a shot at a deer with the bow so we were hoping to bump into something.

As we were walking along we noticed some pretty significant rubs, there are fallow and reds in the area, and im a bit clueless when it comes to identifying differetn rub marks, some were on manuka trees and others were on pine tress, im pretty sure the pine rubs were reds as they were quite high and looked like sharp points had hoed into it. I will attach a picture of a rub that im thinking was a fallow.
    Tree rub, doesnt look that impressive in photo but there was some serious damage. Name:  20130202_113431.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  1.07 MB
    Anyway we continued along the crunchy track, it is phenomenally dry out there and stalking is less than ideal, let alone trying to get close with the bow. Sure enough after a bit of a walk we spooked the first deer. A little fallow yearling that was beeded down in the early morning sun, jumped out of the grass at about 7m, scared the shit out of me and then dissapeared, bugger. Found some nice clearings so a plan was hatched to come back later in the day and build a tree stand.
    Name:  20130202_133346.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  1.09 MBPanoramic of tree stand lookout, furtherest shot is 45 yards. Name:  20130202_133438.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  905.1 KB
    No more deer were seen but we did have some fun chasing hares around the paddock. Heres a video of me missing, the buggers were on the move before the arrow got there.
    00065 - YouTube
    Got home and did a bit of practice, we got the chrony out at and my bow was 270.6 average with an es of 1fps, not bad haha. we discovered the arrow drops about 10fps per 10 yards, but only tested out to 30 yards as i wasnt keen to punch a hole through the chrony screen....

right i suck at uploading photos.... bugger

Looks good, good luck with getting a deer.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Ejected
    How high are those marks in the first pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    How high are those marks in the first pic?
    about knee. with the highest being at the waist

Looks like your getting closer and closer mate!

What broadheads are you using? I've just got into rage broadheads - they put aside any trepidation I ever had about the ability of a bow to put in quick kills!

got a feelin this is my year for a deer with the bow, onto a mob of fallow that are living on a creek and I reckon could sneak in for a rattle and grunt in the rut!

Graphic Rage Broadhead Highlights

Yeah mate hopefully get one very soon, I would be rapt if I could get a couple of stags I've seen.

I'm using muzzy broadheads, cheap 3 blade setup. $69 for 6.

The only issue I've had with mine is the razors get easily blunt and chipped, lucky they can be replaced easy and don't cost a fortune

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Yeah mate hopefully get one very soon, I would be rapt if I could get a couple of stags I've seen.

I'm using muzzy broadheads, cheap 3 blade setup. $69 for 6.

The only issue I've had with mine is the razors get easily blunt and chipped, lucky they can be replaced easy and don't cost a fortune
    Oh yeh, I know two other bow hunters other than myself and they both use Muzzy's and slick tricks and they are happy with them. Rage are expensive but I just have them for deer, for varmints I've got 100gn ribteks - fucking terrible but they only cost $3.50 and havent heard any complaints from my quarry yet.

What ranges are you confident out to? Myself I'd back myself to 40m every day of the week on a deer but once I go that extra 10 to 50m I'd hit him but wouldn't be confident I'd hit a dinner plate every shot so that's cost me all my attempts so far. Seems I can only get closer than about 60 metres to a deer when I have a rifle haha

Since I have had the bow, about 3 months, I have probably been within 30m of undisturbed deer maybe 6 times but have never had the bow! Its crazy aye.
    Yep I'm in the same boat, dinner, probably a bit smaller all day at 40 but 50 I usually have a flyer.

To be honest I got the bow to see how close I can get to deer, not try and shoot them at distance. You hear of all these 40m plus shots but personally I think the risk is to high of wounding and it defeats the purpose and skill of bow hunting.

What animals have you got with yours? Biggest thing I have shot is a 25 inch billy. Would love to get a deer aye