Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: A Quick Day Hunt

A Quick Day Hunt

Earlier in the week I had made the call to let Rusky go down to the kaimais by himself as I had a tonne of work to do over the weekend. But what can I say, Friday afternoon rolled around and the devil on my shoulder started to talk a little louder. Up at 3.30am the next day and out the door had me and Rusky on the hill to catch the first light of dawn through the canopy. Rusky was going back to a spot he knew had a few wallows in the hope of getting a stag and I was off to a new area with the hope of putting some meat in the freezer. Things were going well to begin with as I stalked through some areas of good sign and the wind was playing its part. I wasn't hearing any roars, but I decided to give one when I came across a scrape but I got not reply. I gave a couple more throughout the day but nothing much was happening so I stuck to my usual stalking game. We had agreed to meet back at a track junction by 2 so when 12.30 rolled round I took a new bearing back to the track. I stumbled a bit up and out of a creek and looked down to find some quite fresh sign. I did a quick scan about with my eyes and spotted an odd looking thing through a gap in the bush. The first thing I made out were the ears then I realised it was a hind looking straight at me! Still as a tree she was, nearly fooled me. Up with the rifle, crosshairs on the neck, BANG, she disappears and I hear a deer crash off to the right. So I now I'm thinking "did I miss or was that another deer?", but I walked over to where she was standing and look what I found

Name:  Resize 3.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  322.6 KB

Next stop, Kaimanawas to chase those Jap stags
    moonhunt, Nathan F, Tahr and 14 others like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Shes a fatty! Good skills mate

Geeze Phillip next stop professional Culler? Good hunting
    Munsey likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Good stuff

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    On ya Phillip. You are well and truly on to it now
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ok here's my story (version). Left the track and started stalking in the mist, no wind to speak of. Spooked a hind & fawn 20 mins into the hunt and she barked at me for 5 mins to let every deer in the vicinity know I was back. Pushed on, and found some pretty well used wallows plus others I didn't know about. Come 11.30 I hear a series of 2 shots (must be Phillip) and carried on my hunt. Not much to report and at 12.30 hear 2 more shots. Ok maybe Phillip has found a stag and is having trouble getting it down? So I wait for Phillip at our designated spot and hear him crashing towards me. I look up to see Phillip bouncing down the track with no gun, no bag, and no deer? Then he tells me his bag has broken and he's shot a big hind and needs help carrying it. So long story short we waste a few more hours getting her out but was all good, it was Phillip that had a date on a 21st not me!

Also found this cast antler at a wallow. Not bad for the Kaimais, and I would love to catch up with the owner which is probably a 9-10 pointer now

Name:  Stag.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  26.7 KB
    Toby, BushHunter and outinabout like this.

Great stuff Philillp....she almost looks like a 'tailess Kangaroo' in that photo......and well FAT
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

And still no librarian Phillipgr keep stalking you will find her.Rusky might help you.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Then he tells me his bag has broken and he's shot a big hind and needs help carrying it.
    He could have carried at least half of it out on that walk to you Rusky. Start a petition to the forum Admin to change his signature to flaccid penis (or "soft cock" if that is to long).
    Spook, Scouser and Rusky like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    He could have carried at least half of it out on that walk to you Rusky. Start a petition to the forum Admin to change his signature to flaccid penis (or "soft cock" if that is to long).
    Just think yourself lucky he had a mate to help...probably got your number on speed dial.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nice work magic mushy!...
    Nick.m and phillipgr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Ahhhh piss off Rushy! haha I was running late to meet Rusky so had to boost it, and I did bring one of the hind quarters back to the track but I don't even think I need to defend myself here. Shall I remind the forum of the oft-told tale of you and I in Minginui last year? For those who don't remember, Rushy's felt a little faint (I knew he should've left the corsette at home, but he insisted) and couldn't carry his pack to our campsite... who was it who ended out carrying it for you Rushy?
    Spook and Nick.m like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

nice one man
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Ahhhh piss off Rushy! haha I was running late to meet Rusky so had to boost it, and I did bring one of the hind quarters back to the track but I don't even think I need to defend myself here. Shall I remind the forum of the oft-told tale of you and I in Minginui last year? For those who don't remember, Rushy's felt a little faint (I knew he should've left the corsette at home, but he insisted) and couldn't carry his pack to our campsite... who was it who ended out carrying it for you Rushy?
    And you fell for it . . .
    Spook, Gibo, oneipete and 1 others like this.