Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By Norway
  • 1 Post By Norway

Thread: Roe deer hunting with 6,5 Grendel

Roe deer hunting with 6,5 Grendel

Finally been out hunting again.

Included a tape measure and "more hands" to show the size of these deer.
    The Grendel was surprisingly effective, but I still think it's a stupid cartridge. Unless you have magazine length restrictions like I do, any of the modern 6,5 mms are a better choice then Grendel.

K95, Dreamer, Gibo and 3 others like this.

Hi Norway,
    Nice video as usual.
    I got a few roe deer in my past European life, the 222 was working quite well on them. Have you ever tried the 7x33 sako at short range on them?
    Also with the Grendel on roe deer , why not going with a lighter bullet like 100 /105 gr projectile ?

On another subject. I recently started to read Nathan Foster book on long range shooting. He seems to be going back to more traditional prone positions with sling and using a backpack as a rest , specially with light rifles on big pills.
    Norway ( the country)having some of the most talented and fastest shooters in the world , shooting prone with slings; do you thing that such shooter with a light rifle restring on a back pack could achieve better results than a guy with the same light rifle and a bipod?

Also would you have not been better to use your backpack instead of your bipod in that hunting situation? ( still resting above the grass and no noise with the deployment of the bipod on the suppressor;-)

Magazine length restrictions?
    Is this for the stock or a restriction on cartridge size by government etc....

Nice vids to. Some interesting points, and good reinforcement of good basics. Great editing too
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I got a few roe deer in my past European life, the 222 was working quite well on them. Have you ever tried the 7x33 sako at short range on them?
    Also with the Grendel on roe deer , why not going with a lighter bullet like 100 /105 gr projectile ?
    No the 7x33 is quite a rare cartridge and it doesn't fulfill the legal requirements for a deer cartridge. I have considered a lighter 100gr bullet, but life is so much easier when I can just stack up with bullets I can also use in the 6,5x284. In terms of ballistics, the 100gr bullets offer no advantage to the 123gr.

On another subject. I recently started to read Nathan Foster book on long range shooting. He seems to be going back to more traditional prone positions with sling and using a backpack as a rest , specially with light rifles on big pills.
    Norway ( the country)having some of the most talented and fastest shooters in the world , shooting prone with slings; do you thing that such shooter with a light rifle restring on a back pack could achieve better results than a guy with the same light rifle and a bipod?

Also would you have not been better to use your backpack instead of your bipod in that hunting situation? ( still resting above the grass and no noise with the deployment of the bipod on the suppressor;-)
    The bipod smacked the moderator when it was on my shoulder. I have amended the problem by padding the moderator. Using a backpack for a rest works very well provided it is packed compressed and rests on firm ground. If not, it is a wobbly and treacherous rest that will not do the job properly. I used to use backpacks a lot, but since I'm in/out of my backpack all the time, compressing it just takes too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Magazine length restrictions?
    Is this for the stock or a restriction on cartridge size by government etc....
    No, it is the physical length of my action. The magazine box does not allow cartridges longer than 59mm (223 type cartridges) and 6,5 Grendel is the most powerful cartridge that can be fitted into that.
    If I had a normal short action or long action then 6,5x47 or 6,5 Creedmoor, 260 or 6,5x55 and 6,5x284 would all be better choices. As it is, none of these cartridges can be fitted into this small Sako action.
    Beaker likes this.

great stuff, only thing i have learnt is to take my gun with me on tracking in case it gets up and runs off, I had a sambar (i know heaps bigger etc) take off when i got up to it after a solid hit came back, have also had other deer do a runner and having gun handy helps.

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post

No, it is the physical length of my action. The magazine box does not allow cartridges longer than 59mm (223 type cartridges) and 6,5 Grendel is the most powerful cartridge that can be fitted into that.
    If I had a normal short action or long action then 6,5x47 or 6,5 Creedmoor, 260 or 6,5x55 and 6,5x284 would all be better choices. As it is, none of these cartridges can be fitted into this small Sako action.

I call that a justification to have one more toy to play with ;-)

By the way, howa is apparently releasing their mini action in 6,5 Grendel as well as 7.62x39.
    Barrelled actions are for sell at brownells

By the way, howa is apparently releasing their mini action in 6,5 Grendel as well as 7.62x39.
    Yes I know. They are really nice rifles, they sell for a fraction of the money I spent building my Sako AND it offers the same function. Bah, I'm a slow learner. It annoys me no end the money I could have saved and spent directly on hunting instead....

What range was the shot at?

Quite fancy one of the mini action howas with an ar scope as a light quick bush gun

I think they will be really nice. And for the price Howa sells for, not possible to beat?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    What range was the shot at?

Quite fancy one of the mini action howas with an ar scope as a light quick bush gun
    3 Mil so I am guessing around 450m

That's a good blood trail, and a cool vid

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    3 Mil so I am guessing around 450m

That's a good blood trail, and a cool vid
    Good guess, but I've actually remarked my turret to a BDC. 3 is 300 meters.