Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Carpe Diem

Thread: Second attempt at Wanganui hunt for April.

Second attempt at Wanganui hunt for April.

Hi All,

As you may know Happy, 30calTerry and I have been trying to get down to Wanganui for a hunt recently but got well and truely stuffed when we decided to go down to another forum members place the same week Cyclone Cook decided to pay a visit and closed the roads in and out to the block.

So this trip was the make over attempt down there and if you want the full version and some photo's of some dodgy characters. The full version complete with lies and deceit is already over at the other pub (NZ Hunter and the hunted) 2nd Trip a winner - NZ Hunter & The Hunted

So this will act as a bit of a highlights reel and I'll post a wee video that I was lucky to get Pete to take for us...

We arrived Friday arvo and went pretty much straight away after a bit of banter out the back of the Ranui Farm and later after spotting 20+ animals back with one in the back of the ute the rest of us were scratching for form (me) after not shooting yet this year until the weekend. But I knew the old girl was in good fettle and I'd only bought the 7rm to shoot gongs and let the safe princess ( 1982 Remmy 700 CDL in .223) take the limelight.

However the weather being inclement that plan was scratched as the "Queen" didn't want to go outside in that muck and her pleas were a bit offensive to the ears being unsurpressed. So she got left behind in the Woolshed whilst the Westie Bitch went outside to play..

As I say have a look at the other story but suffice to say didn't have a lot of luck until late on Saturday with the others bagging their quotas earlier. So I had a couple of Muppets sitting in their box alongside stage adding their encouragement and quietly winding things up.

Anyhow found a good candidate but across the valley and gusting wind at just under 400m. somehow made a meal of that good line just stuffed the drop turned to a second candidate as these were cull animals and they had to be selected as such. Any how nice candidate at 50m closer settled in, rolling tape and I said to myself stuff it - You wanted a good meat animal, so it should be a appropriate shot. Lined up and went into autopilot which I pretty much hadn't to that point.

But it was all good from there - here's the video...
    https://www.facebook.com/Onwardfreel...3660327468906/

Thanks to a few People - Obviously Happy and Terry for allowing me to tag along. Pete for the video and helping me to get my shit squared away, Good luck getting that Wapiti this week to achieve and finish your all 7 species in 7 weeks challenge and see you next Tuesday dude! (No Homo!)..

Finally Hoomussh (Hamish ) from Muddy Waters Guiding for allowing us reprobates to cause the level of carnage we did. If you're looking down there great operator and I'm sure we'll be back as a result. Although Hoomussh you might need to invest in a bivy bag next time.

Definitely looking at this venue as a good one for a hunting inspired retreat similar to what I do with reel recovery. Tobe's was in my ear with that all weekend.
    Any how hope you laugh at our story as much as we did reliving it on the way home!

Cheers CD
    sako75, madjon_ and Scouser like this.