Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 10 Post By Camgibbler
  • 1 Post By madmaori
  • 1 Post By Camgibbler
  • 2 Post By Camgibbler
  • 1 Post By Stickbow

Thread: Spooked

Spooked

My neighbour and I have access to a beautiful private station 45minutes up the road. Name:  2016709082732.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  363.8 KB

A plan was hatched that first Saturday in the holidays we head up for an exploratory outing as we are both pretty new to the whole hunting, stalking, glassing style of hunting as we have mostly just some spotlighting for bunnies.

Anyway the alarm goes off at ten to six and we are off. The rifles make their way into the truck, our stop for breakfast and we are in our way.

Name:  2016709102901.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  996.2 KB

We get there probably 20 minutes too late and the sun is coming up. A nice walk up the hill gets us into what we honk is deer country. 5 shots ring out in quick succession from the neighbours and we are free bolting everywhere on one of the faces opposite us. Oh well maybe in the next basin we will see some fallow sunning themselves.

Over the ridge we go, find a spot to glass and sit for 40 minutes. Nothing appears and we stand up to walk up to the next ridge.
    All he'll breaks loose and two fallow bolt from the scrub. Shit

A 250m running shot is available but I'm not confident in a clean kill and lower my rifle. Oh well mybe the next basin after all.

No other deer are seen all day, we shoot a few roos for the landowner and have a great walk back to the truck.

Beautiful country for a walk anyway.Name:  2016709083812.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  949.0 KB
    Last edited by Camgibbler; 27-07-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    P38, Dundee, StrikerNZ and 7 others like this.

Do love the sneaky fallow popping out from virtually under your feet...

Sounds like a great day, any pictures?

Love you’re style not taking that running shot, to many people do and a deer gets to die slowly and painfully for there ego stroking shot
    Mangle likes this.

looks very similar to Stravo Station.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

It certainly is a beautiful part of the country.

Not Stravon Station, I didn't know it existed Dundee until you made your comment! I am pretty new to hunting so I appreciate every opportunity to get out and learn.
    Dundee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camgibbler View Post
    It certainly is a beautiful part of the country.

Not Stravon Station, I didn't know it existed Dundee until you made your comment! I am pretty new to hunting so I appreciate every opportunity to get out and learn.
    The guys from O'Rourkes Taxidermy and Safaris took me out to Stravon many moons ago.............. http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...65/index2.html
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Classic Dundee,

I have heard really good things about O'Rourkes taxidermy. He is a pretty clever guy.
    Wallabies are good fun to shoot, unfortunately for the landowners they are prolific in the hunters. great for me though.
    Dundee and StrikerNZ like this.

Kerry O'Rourke took me to kill my first bull Tahr and did it just to be nice and help me get my first! Top bloke and cant say enough good things about him.
    Dundee likes this.