Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Trip of 1st's

Trip of 1st's

Ok guys full report.

The trip got off to an exciting start with fuel troubles right away.

Driving to Daniverke on under a quarter tank of gas in a thirsty car wasn’t an ideal start and I watched as the fuel gage dropped faster and faster, the more the kms were ticking over.

At least I had time on my side. Well so I thought. After stopping to fill up, road works and several tractors on the road I had some lost time to make up for. When the radar went off it was a nervous 20 seconds until the marked police car was safely passed.

Name:  P1030484-web.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  58.0 KB

I made it to the chopper on time. As Brads, Eli and I got loaded into the bird, the blood was already pumping, it was our first chopper ride into the bush and we were all excited. It was such a great ride and the view was amazing! You could really see how dry all the land is at the moment. Twenty minutes later we were at the command base on the Ruahine tops.

Name:  P1030491-web.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  18.5 KB

After spending the night before on Google earth I had my chosen spots sorted.

I was heading north with my 7-375r, Rangefinder, Binoculars and daypack, and most important I had a plan. I was trying my best to roar the place down, into every little nook and cranny that may have held bambi, down both sides of the ridge, into creek heads and catchments, and off side ridges and spurs. Each time I waited for a reply, but luck wasn’t on my side. There was one lone roarer way down a catchment, and I got excited as he roared again but I was dismayed to realise he sounded like he was heading away. I gave him some time, playing hide and seek with him for a while but I could only just faintly hear a reply in the end, and then nothing.

I had gone a fair distance further north when I spotted two hunters and a dog, (Interesting to note that the guy wearing blue blaze stuck out a lot more then the guy in the orange blaze). They were 1100 yards away and heading through my planned route, so I sat down and watched where they headed. I pulled out my map and had some lunch.

I decided I might as well roar my way back, and then head out for a quick look right on dusk.

I got back and was glad to see that the boys day had gone a lot better then mine, they had a very nice, even, 6pt head with them.

Name:  Eli-web.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  132.5 KB

After listening to their story and all about the huge hill they had to climb I was rearing to go. Just as darkness was falling upon us, around 100 odd yards away feeding its way across the top of a shingle scree, was a lone bambi. I went to rest on a bush and quickly realised this wasn’t going to work as I fell through it, So half kneeling/sitting/falling, I found the front shoulder and boom. Down she went, tumbling down the hill face. Lucky for us she stopped on a tiny ledge about a fifth of the way down. As we headed down the shingle we found out that she was actually a he. He was a nice little 4pt spiker. We grabbed the meat and the head, and off we went back to camp. That night we feasted on the best venison we had ever had.

Name:  P1030504-web.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  125.9 KB

The next morning we got up at a relaxed 7:30am and headed along the ridge south. Not far from camp Brads spotted some movement on the skyline, about four or five deer out in the open, at 8am. He got some very shaky film as we watched the deer head across and down the ridge back into the bush. We continued along the ridge, roaring as we went, but the wind came up and it was blowing the wrong way, putting a stop to the hunting. We hunkered down out of the breeze and waited for the wind to change direction.

Name:  P1030506-web.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  126.5 KB

After waiting in the sun for a while the wind finally played ball, changing direction, and the hunt was on again.

We began roaring at a stag on the next ridge, about 1100 yards away. With every reply he sounded closer. We found the best spot we could to get a view of a few slips and the stream he would hopefully head up, but all of a sudden he was heading away. He gave one last roar that we barely heard and then he went quiet. The question of what went wrong was answered a few minutes later, as three hunters came over the next high point, with their scent heading straight into the stags domain. Damn it, but shit happens. It was time for a new plan. We sidled across our ridge into the next catchment.

One roar and we got a reply but where was he? He sounded a long way down, but then Brads spotted him, down in the valley, in a nice little basin.
    The 1st stag I have seen and he was a ripper, with a huge shot of adrenalin pumping through me I dropped further down the ridge looking for a shooting spot.

Name:  P1030508-web.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  61.8 KB

I finally found one at the top of a slip and Brads re ranged the shot and I dial my scope. I held low for the angle and a couple of shots later he was down. What a rush! My first stag was on the ground and I couldn’t believe it. I could see his size through the scope. I was nervous he was going to get back up and I couldn’t wait to get down there.

About thirty minutes, most of it on a scree slip, we arrived at the spot where he was. I couldn’t believe his size, especially his head. He was very old and although huge, he was missing a lot of teeth and didn’t look in top condition.

Name:  P1030518-web.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  99.8 KB
    Name:  P1030516-web.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  120.1 KB
    Name:  P1030519-web.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  195.3 KB

We took some pictures, packed up, and started on our long, steep, hard slog back. We were buggered and we had only made it part way back up. Eli had decided that after walking out of the same basin the day before with his 6pointer, his legs were not up to the task at hand and he had packed up all our excess gear and stayed at the high point waiting for our return.

Back at camp many hours later we lined all the heads up against the hut, then sat back, relaxed, and admired them. Admittedly two of the heads got a lot more attention then the third.

Name:  P1030522-web.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  48.1 KB

The next morning we went for a short walk but apart from a few distant roars there wasn’t much to report. We packed up, tided up and waited for the taxi home.

Name:  P1030524-web.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  30.2 KB

Thanks to Brads and Eli for inviting me along
    Last edited by 199p; 06-04-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Some Pic's did load up

Well done. Better than anything I've shot up there in 45 years. They are often missing a bay (bez) tine, but yours has got the full kit and it is a nice typical shape for the area. You should be very pleased.

From Whitehead's Encyclopedia of Deer ISBN 1 85310 362 4

Royal - A 12 pointed stags head with all its RIGHTS (BROW, BAY and TRAY) and three points on top in the form of a cup or crown, which technically should be large enough to hold a glass of wine, is a true royal.
    Occasionally, in the past it would appear that a head of ten points (5+5) was also refered to as a royal, whilst a double royal denoted 20 points and a triple royal 30 points.
    The royal tine was also referred to as the fifth point of a deers horn.

Imperial - A name sometimes given to a Red Deer head of 14 points - but there seem to be no justification for it. see also Monarch.

Monarch - A term sometimes used - but without any justification - to describe a 14 pointer

Brow - The lower or first tine above the coronet.

Bay - The second tine of a deer's antler, used mainly for those of the genus Cervus. Also spelt BEAS, BEZ, BIZ-ANTLER.

Tray - The third tine or point of an antler. Also spelt TREY or TREZ
    199p and Scouser like this.

Nice going, good to see the 7-375 getting a work out.

Well done fellas,beaut report and cool photos.

I bet the farm was forgotten while you were up on the tops Brads,well done for getting out
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Well done fellas,beaut report and cool photos.

I bet the farm was forgotten while you were up on the tops Brads,well done for getting out
    Yep it was good to get away if only for a couple nights
    Couple more pics, one of me on the way down to 199"s stag and one of the climb back up.

Dundee and 199p like this.

Good work guys
    VIVA LA HOWA

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Well done fellahs. good report 199p
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Another young huntress
    Way to go

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Nice work Shane

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

That looks like a steep bastard of a climb and in my experience, if it looks steep in a pic, it's really hard yakka.
    Nice trip report and makes me wanna try out the Ruahines one day
    199p likes this.

Brilliant guys, well done....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Yep it was good to get away if only for a couple nights
    Couple more pics, one of me on the way down to 199"s stag and one of the climb back up.

Where's your sling bro!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    bro!
    VC I thought you lot down south didn't use that term bro.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    VC I thought you lot down south didn't use that term bro.
    We don't i was using north is language for a north islander

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Pointer likes this.