Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What I'm learning from the Kaimais

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Attachment 73628

Riding this tomorrow :-) I was thinking about going in for a hunt this afternoon but weather is brewing up, interesting article from Twig & Tweet re Hunters behavior at the blade I have had a yarn with him regarding laying poison and perhaps looking at alternative methods as Kiwi are present but he was only interested in hearing his own voice so no traction so Pengy he is a pom that shouldn't have been allowed to immigrate to NZ someone ripped his sign off I wonder who he offended

Attachment 73632
    To be honest, destroying a sign that warns hunters to be careful around an area (where people are likely to be static, setting up traps etc off track, arse in the air etc) is monumentally stupid and does us no favours
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    To answer your question regarding the full moon effect on animals is that during the full moon phase the deer feed over larger areas ( usually you see more sign around during this phase) but the deer because they have feed well during the night usually move into cover before daylight and come out just after dark. Obviously there are always exceptions and you do get them early in the morning and before dark.
    The no moon phase is better for morning and evening hunting, generally.
    Still they have to be there so better to be out there any time of the day than at home, I am amazed at the number of deer we get on the trail camera's during all times of the day and night. Big stags as well.
    Cheers Mooseman that's great info I'm hoping to catch one out, resting up after a big night of feeding tomorrow in an area i scoped a couple weeks back, fingers crossed there's a really full sleepy one not overly well hidden in there .... can dream aye !!
    matto1234 likes this.

Took me three years to get my first in there
    Sure learnt a lot in that time. As said here before if you can get one in there you can shoot them anywhere.
    I started hunting there in the 90's so the animal numbers where a lot lower than what they are today
    Keep at it you will get there soon enough.
    Might duck up for a go when I'm home between the 30th and 7th just to see if I still have it
    I no longer have access to my X spot
    I was getting one every 3 and a half days before I left for my big OE......that was back in 97.....
    Anyway keep trying your hard work will pay off soon

Trip in today was great ..... well windy mainly, really windy new sign on top of sign from last week and fresh browsing so I'm looking in the right place, just not right time
    Name:  IMG_2186.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  1.06 MB

So much of this around
    Name:  IMG_2187.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  1.02 MB

Wind really killed the day but still good to be up there amongst it !!

Nar that can't be the Kaimais where's the supplejack

Haha yeah it's still there had to play twister through a fair bit of it to get up to that spot, but well worth it, need to do an overnighter and sit there till dark me thinks

You need to penetrate deeper into the kaimais going from that picture. No self respecting Kaimai deer will be in that outside of the silly roar season. I went to a new spot 2 weeks ago in the kaimais on the eastern side. Walked a good 2 hours in and veered of the beaten track. Sign was almost non existent for first hour then bumped into hind which didn't provide a clean shot. All of her 4 other mates didn't want to hang around. Spooked another on its own later in the day. So in having said all that, keep at it, there are plenty of deer in there.
    2Quack likes this.

Nice one Rusky that's a great day walk right there!
    That spot in the picture is in the middle of some pretty steep and thick stuff about an hour or so up the track before I head off into the vines, it's been browsed pretty hard and there's sign aplenty
    The couple of stag prints and scrapes I've seen in here will definetly be checked out closer to the roar
    Rusky and matto1234 like this.