Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By tikka

Thread: Xmas pig

Xmas pig

I am board at work having lunch so I typed this up for a quick read.

A mate gave me a phone call the week before Xmas saying pigs were digging up his farm tracks. So after I finished my weeks shift at work I drove down to his farm and had a quick catch up.

Glassing around for half the day seen a few hinds with fawns but no stags to been seen, they must be higher up in the hills.
    The started of the stalk begins, looking for tracks where the pig were coming out onto the grass and followed the sign through a fence and into the bush. Two hours of tracking I was getting close to them as the dog went behind me letting me know that a pig was in shooting range, then all of a sudden a sow and piglets busted out of some tight scrub running across and above me no more than 20m. Not having a clear shot strait away so I placed the reticule on a open line in the trees were the pigs would run through, a second or two later bang thud got the sow too far back in the chest and got her in the liver. I stuffed the shot up and didn't allow for enough lead but it was still a good solid hit. Being inpatient I started tracking strait away scuff marks on the ground and bloods drops every 2m or so we tracked the pig 60m from the shot and the pig run off with a good amount of blood pooled up where it lay. More tracking and 180m from the shot, the sow was laying upright on the ground so I changed magazines from Lehigh 194gr ME to my goat/opossum/rabbit ammo the Hornady 220gr RN too finish her off with 1 in the back of the head. With the suckers near by I finish them of as well, job done no more pigs for now.

Brew time

The end result, another breeder taken out.

Till next time happy new year.

Good stufff, farmers hate the damage they cause. How many in total did you get?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good work.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Good stufff, farmers hate the damage they cause. How many in total did you get?
    Just the one sow and six sucker, they were only in the area a couple of days by the looks of the digging and sign. The last lot of pigs that came in pushed a tons of rocks on the tracks, had to get the digger in to clear them, the biggest was about 200 kg.

Excellent result, good to remove those paddock wreakers.

love your reports bro.