Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: advice greatly appreciate!!!!

advice greatly appreciate!!!!

Ok my initial concept of owning a land rover was soon put in check by some very open dialogue from some forum members, it was very well received

im now looking at a run about for occasional weekend away tramping or God forbid I get out for a hunt as well!!! something I can sleep in the back or get a bit of gear in.

im tending towards a surf, down side I am on a budget and im currently overseas. The budget is strict as im having to fund repairs that EQC have told me were pre existing prior to chch earthquakes on an old house! so I am up for new roof and some other repairs!

I have a car for day to day use but last time I took the harrier to Waimate my mechanic spent a good half hour prying the muffler off the chassis!!

as an example I saw this

Toyota Hilux Surf 1989 | Trade Me

I then got the dog and lemon guide and am more confused than ever!!!

What should I be looking for in this age bracket, it not going to be used for major off road but I would like something that can handle a bit of the rough?? Not cost an arm to fuel and reasonably reliable?

Cheers

If you happy with a something a smidgen smaller and petrol look at the old Kia Sportage. Better designed than the old surfs ever were.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I'd go (actually I did do) for an Isuzu Bighorn or Wizard with the 3.1 (4JG2) engine. The running gear and engine are stronger than the Toyota and you get a lot more for your dollar.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Fulla
    the Suzuki vitara or escudo are good. I had a 90's model. four cylinder. there not full time 4x4 and have a low range. the model I had was a bit older than the v6 but many people say the 1600 is the better model. mine was four door, I thought the two door was a bit small.

thanks for the comments, im looking at the Toyota Surf range at the moment, I would prefer something with the ability rear fold down seats and sleep in as well as carry a bit of kit, Tents and packs plus dogs, im keen if anyone has some hints or advice on specific engine issues of petrol engines of the 2.0 3Y 1998 or 2.2 4Y-C 2237? or the diesel 2.4 2L 2446. Again budgets does dictate but I do have a bit of time to look around!

3y and 4y is 2 and 2.2l. Run forever but thirsty. 2l and then the later 3l. Is a 2.4 diesel. (Cracked head) but the 3l is slow and steady but bullet proof engine.
    After that maybe 93-94 they went to 1kzte 3lt diesel. Good motor but again head issues. Mine was mint tho.... Iv had all of those engines but now im in a 5 door vitara
    Cheap to run wins for me.
    Imo try to find a nz new 4runner with a 2.8

Sent from the swamp

http://www.trademe.co.nz/766512759

This one.

Sent from the swamp
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    Toyota Hilux 4runner 1995 | Trade Me

This one.

Sent from the swamp
    Legend...... exactly what I needed to hear nice truck.......will go back and do some sums!

advice greatly appreciate!!!!

The 1kz with some exhaust work is also an option i think. Shop around and see what is out there

http://www.trademe.co.nz/766603987
    That 1kz surf with 1500 thrown at it is a cheaper option..,,,
    Sent from the swamp
    Tertle likes this.

Turtle... Have you thought about a two wheel drive van. Something like the mitzi l 200 2.5 turbo. Great little vans, fast and lite. U will be able to sleep in it, great for road end hunts. Cheap to run and nice to drive. If you have a misses....she may like to tag along and stay in the nice cozy van too........

The Bighorn is in the same class as the Surf but better built and roomier inside. Has the seats that can fold down. Can have head cracking issues like the Toyota 1kzte when pushed, solved the same way with a bigger exhaust. I've had, and still do, Toyota vans with the Y series engines (bulletproof but thirsty), L series engines (bulletproof if not turbo) and currently the 1kzte.

Seriously give the Isuzu a look. The best engines both Toyota and Isuzu are the 2.8l.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Shit Terts, you'd be better off going back to your original plan and get a Landy.
    Tertle and nevereadyfreddy like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Nothin like landy comfort...,,

Sent from the swamp

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Shit Terts, you'd be better off going back to your original plan and get a Landy.
    what like this? Land Rover Series 3 4x4 Green 1981 for Sale - Autotrader New Zealand

was just looking honest!!!!!!
    gadgetman likes this.