Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: All terrain tyres: Are they all made equal?

All terrain tyres: Are they all made equal?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but thought I'd run it past the fine fellows here anyway, hopefully Ill even learn something.

I need to get some new tyres for my vehicle and was hoping to get some All terrains. Was looking to try score a deal and have been looking on trademe.
    I've noticed though, quite a few tyres that are advertised and branded as A/Ts, yet the tread pattern on them look hardly any more agressive than some H/T tyres, at then some A/Ts I'd almost have classed as mud tyres.

Is it pretty obvious that not all A/Ts are made equal? Or are some magically made to look like road tyres, yet perform amazing offroad?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Tyres are sometimes categorized as a percentage of on road / off road e.g. 60/40 80/20 or the other way around for more off road tyres like 40/60. A/T is a pretty broad description

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  677.1 KBHave been using these for a while,3rd set.road,River and grass I'm happy with them.Local tyre shop rotates freeName:  image.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  62.6 KB
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

No, AT tyres are not created equal. Generally with tyres you do get what you pay for.

Those Desert Duelers above are a good tyre, we got around 70,000kms out of the last set we had on our 70 series landcruiser before selling it.

I'm having a good run out of Hercules Terratrac DT's, they're more a 'desert terrain' tyre than AT, and quite chunky. Hercules are made by Coopers.

These are the first AT tyres I've bought, always had MT's, I probably won't go back to a MT after having these.

Done over 50,000kms on this set so far and they're still in good nick. Maybe squeeze another 10,000-15,000 out of them, then that'll get me to about April, and a new set for winter

Tyreshoponline.co.nz is the place I got them from, Steve there is a very knowledgeable guy.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455142949.982150.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  161.9 KB

My current pattern and supply. Must understand your needs and the capabilities of the given tyre. My need: 80 on road, forestry roads would differ greatly from mine when I lived in the Deep South.
    mucko likes this.
    Dan M

Contact @madmaori he put me on to the Cooper At3 all terrains, best all terrain tyres I have had. He runs a tyre outfit and his prices are real sharp.
    madmaori likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but thought I'd run it past the fine fellows here anyway, hopefully Ill even learn something.

I need to get some new tyres for my vehicle and was hoping to get some All terrains. Was looking to try score a deal and have been looking on trademe.
    I've noticed though, quite a few tyres that are advertised and branded as A/Ts, yet the tread pattern on them look hardly any more agressive than some H/T tyres, at then some A/Ts I'd almost have classed as mud tyres.

Is it pretty obvious that not all A/Ts are made equal? Or are some magically made to look like road tyres, yet perform amazing offroad?
    these guys do good deals TyreShopOnline - About Us i put some goodrides on this time last year and they are going really well they were only $159 fitted i really like them for price and wearing no worries in the wet on or off road, if you want to spend more for no good reason then look at Kumho KL78
    gadgetman and Danny like this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    No, AT tyres are not created equal. Generally with tyres you do get what you pay for.

Those Desert Duelers above are a good tyre, we got around 70,000kms out of the last set we had on our 70 series landcruiser before selling it.

I'm having a good run out of Hercules Terratrac DT's, they're more a 'desert terrain' tyre than AT, and quite chunky. Hercules are made by Coopers.

These are the first AT tyres I've bought, always had MT's, I probably won't go back to a MT after having these.

Done over 50,000kms on this set so far and they're still in good nick. Maybe squeeze another 10,000-15,000 out of them, then that'll get me to about April, and a new set for winter

Tyreshoponline.co.nz is the place I got them from, Steve there is a very knowledgeable guy.

Interesting. I was pointed in the direction of the Hercules by another forum member, and he said they were made by Cooper as well.
    I asked the question at a seemingly reputable local agent, who sells both Cooper and Hercules, and he was quite adamant that they were not from the same company.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

MSL
    Cooper Tire manufactures the Hercules brand in addition to Cooper and other associate and private label brands.
    JoshC and Pengy like this.

He might want to brush up on his product knowledge then. I've run 5 sets of Hercules tyres now and rate them highly.

http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate...r-Anniver.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Cooper AT3s. Cant go wrong. huge warranty depending on size and construction, amazing grip, improved handling and fuel efficiency. I am never going to touch anything else. I didnt know about them until i got into the auto industry, but sure as hell know about them now. Great reviews.
    von tempsky fan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    Contact @madmaori he put me on to the Cooper At3 all terrains, best all terrain tyres I have had. He runs a tyre outfit and his prices are real sharp.
    Cheers von ,as its already been stated tyres definitely aren't all made the same ,there is a lot of shit floating into the country at the moment.you have to work out what youre budget is and what terrain you are going into and what you want from a tyre (if you are spending quite a bit of time offroad in the back blocks then I would steer away from the 4 ply constructions as they can be pretty weak in the sidewall and crown area and its no fun trying to change a tyre in the middle of the sticks if you have ripped the sidewall out of a tyre)
    if you want a unbiased opinion on a tyre before you buy then just flick me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Attachment 45775Have been using these for a while,3rd set.road,River and grass I'm happy with them.Local tyre shop rotates freeAttachment 45774
    Have always been a good tyre but as of late I think they have changed the compound or something as I have had a few customers saying they have been pretty slippery (probably doesn't help most 4x4s these days go like the clappers) and unfortunately very limited sizes as they only do them in a 9r15 or 10r15

I was always a bf goodrich all terrain and mud terrain user but the last sets didn't seem to wear as well as previous sets not sure what has changed with them.Friends swear by the maxxis tyres and both had about 100k out of theres.The maxxis tyres I had were stuffed by 39k probably would have got a little more if they were rotated but they were prone to punctures and seemed soft in the sidewall.I have a set of mickey thomson on there now and have been happy with how they are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaori View Post
    Have always been a good tyre but as of late I think they have changed the compound or something as I have had a few customers saying they have been pretty slippery (probably doesn't help most 4x4s these days go like the clappers) and unfortunately very limited sizes as they only do them in a 9r15 or 10r15
    Thats no good then, need r16s.
    Good replies guy, will have to look into the Cooper options.